Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by wlambing
    Ooops! At least I got the first letter correct! Greyback had a terrible accident with SOF divers, the result of which spawned a new program that is to ensure diver/equipment safety. All US submarines now adhere to this program throughout design, construction, and operation. Much like Subsafe, and it works!
    A side-bare to that accident. As a member of our dive-locker aboard the YOSEMITE, our work-boat engineer (a non-diver, but wanting to get into the program), MRSN Bloomer, eventually got his chit approved for Dive school. Years later I learned that he was one of the Special Projects guys killed in that fouled up valve alignment in the hangar that did him and some other guys in. Bloomer was a squared away, hardworking type.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT0005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	157749

He and I would spend off-hours in the Tenders machine and carpenter shop building models. Bloomer went from common air-breather, like me and most of the locker, to spooky gas-breather in a few short years. In his short life he saw some weird **** (Ivy Bells comes to mind).

Trevino v. General Dynamics Corp., 626 F. Supp. 1330 (E.D. Tex. 1986) :: Justia

David
    Old Man Remembering
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-08-2022, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wlambing
    replied
    Ooops! At least I got the first letter correct! Greyback had a terrible accident with SOF divers, the result of which spawned a new program that is to ensure diver/equipment safety. All US submarines now adhere to this program throughout design, construction, and operation. Much like Subsafe, and it works!

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F2E2CDCA-3F95-4AD0-8F22-8A38CF4A6D20.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	157702

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied

Name:	8559DA9C-F69F-449F-88CB-2E4A92ED1F19.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	157700

Leave a comment:

• gantu
    replied
    Some picīs
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Originally posted by wlambing
    USS Greyback is a museum ship in NYC. Maybe you could get good plans from the USS Intrepid Museum, of which she is part.
    You're pertaining to the USS GROWLER. (SSG 577) Click image for larger version  Name:	images (26).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	157685

GRAYBACK (SSG 574) was decommissioned and sunk as a target in the West Philippine Sea near Subic Bay Republic of the Philippine Islands April 13, 1986. Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-USS_Grayback_(SSG-574)_sink.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	157687
    Last edited by redboat219; 01-07-2022, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wlambing
    replied
    USS Greyback is a museum ship in NYC. Maybe you could get good plans from the USS Intrepid Museum, of which she is part.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Sam Victory
    I was shocked when I saw this submarine, USS Greyback

V

Name:	29-3790863-74.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	157680
    Careful there. Edward Wiswesser drawings are always suspect. Some of his work is OK. Some of it is horse****.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Victory
    replied
    I was shocked when I saw this submarine, USS Greyback

V

Name:	29-3790863-74.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	157680

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Bite me, scumbag.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    A sailor onboard saved the boat after a fire. He won the Navy Marine Corps medal.
    Go to bed you old fart!

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    A sailor onboard saved the boat after a fire. He won the Navy Marine Corps medal.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this boat. I thought I knew them all. 555 does not ring a bell.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dolphin-starboard-side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	157671 Fxmodels 1/72 AGSS-555 Dolphin. Not sure if it's still available. Worth giving them a call.

About 28" long.

According to FXmodels it's made of GRP with resin appendages and is RC-able and is capable of accepting one of David's 2.5" SD.
    Last edited by redboat219; 01-06-2022, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vital.spark
    replied
    Went aboard her in San Diego about 10 years ago. Very well presented as a Museum Boat!

Leave a comment:

Working...