X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Latest news on Mike Martin

I don't know how many of you know, but Mike Martin is in hospital, battling COVID since Feb 19th. He's currently on a ventilator in an induced coma. Apparently his vitals are doing okay, but he's fighting coming out.

Mike is the guy that built that amazing Type VII with the red hull that I featured as a completed build recently. He is/was also working through a refit of an OTW Upholder and has a thread here on that topic.

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family, along with hopes for a speedy recovery.

Bob
    Last edited by RCSubGuy; 04-01-2021, 09:00 AM.
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

Thanks for the information.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

And there are people out there that think this virus is not serious! How STUPID can they be!! Best wishes to Mike and his family!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Hope he pulls through.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Oh man! Mike is a great guy. I had the privilege of meeting him at Subfest and seeing his exquisite type VII. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            And there are people out there that think this virus is not serious! How STUPID can they be!! Best wishes to Mike and his family!

Rob

I had several friends hospitalized, and a 50 y/o former coworker and good friend die from COVID-19.

Don't want to lose another one here.

Never had that with Influenza. Those that apparently think this is the just the flu, haven't experienced that...yet.

For those of you who feel you're exercise your right to go as you are, please do, I support your right to do so.

However, nature thinks differently.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

I had several friends hospitalized, and a 50 y/o former coworker and good friend die from COVID-19.

Don't want to lose another one here.

Never had that with Influenza. Those that apparently think this is the just the flu, haven't experienced that...yet.

For those of you who feel you're exercise your right to go as you are, please do, I support your right to do so.

However, nature thinks differently.
              As always "Sub" Ed!

You hit the nail right on the head! Covid-19 is not something you want to mess around with!!

Rob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Though you folks don't know him, I just learned John Basta, the Commodore of our local surface group known as the Empire State Model Mariners, is now in a coma on a ventilator.
                So that makes 4 or so I know personally, that's experienced the ventilator.
                Not a flu.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Sinksalot
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2020

I hope everyone gets better. I had a friend who got COVID, but he never made it out of a ventilator. I told him all the time to wear a mask, but he refused to wear one, saying its just the flu.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Any update on Mike?

I've had several friend losses this month, 2 from the same ESMM Club.

John Basta passed from COVID, and Capt. Gaito. just informed the LI Group us we lost William Dunn from cancer. Long time Tug Driver and know for some beautiful work.

Capt. Martin is one o 5 others I know on the Critical sick list, two of which are co-workers.

This has turned out to be one F&^%ed up month.

Ed
                    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 04-21-2021, 04:09 PM.
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

I can try calling later this morning....

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

Some great news to share, but I'm going to let the main man himself chime in. Stand by...

Bob

Comment

• TINFISH
                          Lieutenant
                          • Apr 2019

Good morning one and all friends and sub commanders...
                          I am very happy to report, I am alive.......
                          As some said, this Covid is not something to take lightly. I have never been sick a day in my life and this took me to the head of the line for the pearly gates as they called my family in twice saying I wouldn't make it thru the night. I spent 20 days on the vent. Only the best wishes and prayers from so many friends got me thru this, I am confident.
                          I lost 45 pounds so I am now eating like a homeless family of 4 trying to put on some weight.
                          I have learned to walk again and I look for a glimmer of improvement each day. Yesterdays glimmer was, I opened a can of soda with my two bare hands. I know that don't sound like much but for where I am, at this stage, it was memorable.
                          I continue to get a little better and stronger each day and all my therapist say, given what I have been thru, there is no way I should be doing as well as I am. Thank God!!!
                          I am now strong enough to get back to finishing up my Upholder; but the going is slow. But that is fine, at least I am going.....

Thanks to all for the kind words and prayers.

Please take this disease seriously!!!!!! It's a *****!
                          Mike

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

So wonderful to hear Mike! Welcome back!

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by TINFISH
                              Good morning one and all friends and sub commanders...
                              I am very happy to report, I am alive.......
                              As some said, this Covid is not something to take lightly. I have never been sick a day in my life and this took me to the head of the line for the pearly gates as they called my family in twice saying I wouldn't make it thru the night. I spent 20 days on the vent. Only the best wishes and prayers from so many friends got me thru this, I am confident.
                              I lost 45 pounds so I am now eating like a homeless family of 4 trying to put on some weight.
                              I have learned to walk again and I look for a glimmer of improvement each day. Yesterdays glimmer was, I opened a can of soda with my two bare hands. I know that don't sound like much but for where I am, at this stage, it was memorable.
                              I continue to get a little better and stronger each day and all my therapist say, given what I have been thru, there is no way I should be doing as well as I am. Thank God!!!
                              I am now strong enough to get back to finishing up my Upholder; but the going is slow. But that is fine, at least I am going.....

Thanks to all for the kind words and prayers.

Please take this disease seriously!!!!!! It's a *****!
                              Mike
                              Mike,

Welcome back! (song from "Welcome back Kotter" comes to mind)
                              Look forward to your continued improvement and your build!

Peace,
                              Tom
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...