Going Deep- Ballast adjustments with SD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Going Deep- Ballast adjustments with SD?

Am yet to go deep with my SD - by deep I mean that I am yet to venture down to my local olympic pool and play in the dive pool depths, but I am wondering about how the SD will handle deeper conditions - like over 5 plus feet in terms of the boats bouyancy.

I have noticed in my pump ballasted boats over the years the deeper you go the heavy the boat becomes and I countered this by letting small amounts of ballast out. In fact I was able to get on a few occassions perfectly neutral bouyancy. I.e. Stopped the boat about 8 ft down (not on the bottom), and left her there "suspended" whilst I had lunch! (true).

The problem I see in going deep with the SD is as David states - the ballast tank should be used in only two states - 100% full OR 100% empty. With the SD, I ballast the boat so in fresh water the boat is slightly positive. This means that I get close to neutral a little way under, with slight dynamic forces in play to dive. As you go deeper - won't the boat therefore become negative? In my pump boat set ups I would let a little water out to counter this, but this is not possible with the SD if the ballast tank when dived should be 100% full, and as most would attest, commanding a blow usually means the boat comes up fast.

Is there a way around this? Or is this something that is not an issue?

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

The only way around it is to use a ballast system which is either sealed off from outside water pressure, i.e a water pump ballast system with a valve or a peristaltic pump (self sealing). Or use a piston tank, which is adjustable but has no exposed water surface with a compressible air bubble.

You can of course make hybrid systems, where you mix say a small piston tank (syringe?) with the gas ballast system, incorporate a simple and cheap trim system in your existing module. A servo is strong enough to work a 60ml syringe, therefore the system can be made proportional.

Alternatively, you could use a peristaltic pump, and a separate small trim tank or even pump into a syringe.

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

anything compressible will compress, and you lose bouyancy, so you need something to offset this loss
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Assume your ballast tank is bubble-free and the boat is neutrally buoyant at periscope depth:

Your SD displaces less water as the cylinder is compressed around the 'dry' sections of the cylinder (box compression as a consequence of increased hydrostatic pressure). As depth increases overall boat displacement decreases and the boat transitions from a neutral to a negative condition; the deeper your boat goes, the more displacement it looses, the more negatively buoyant the boat becomes.

The box compression phenomena is more extreme with the thin-walled Lexan cylinders we're using today.

Expect catastrophic structural failure of the SD at a depth over thirty-feet.

Deal with it.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
          Expect catastrophic structural failure of the SD at a depth over thirty-feet.
          sounds like a youtube experiment :)
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Thanks guys.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

(sent your 3/16" watertight seal today -- sorry about the delay)
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

no problem - much appreciate it David.
                best
                J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

"The box compression phenomena is more extreme with the thin-walled Lexan cylinders we're using today. Expect catastrophic structural failure of the SD at a depth over thirty-feet."

Let's see if this myth is busted, plausible or confirmed.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                    "The box compression phenomena is more extreme with the thin-walled Lexan cylinders we're using today. Expect catastrophic structural failure of the SD at a depth over thirty-feet."

Let's see if this myth is busted, plausible or confirmed.
                    You first.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

There is also the foam to consider as well. The closed-cell foam that we use for trimming will "squish" at greater depths, reducing buoyancy and sending your boat down, down, down....

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

How about using a Syntactic Foam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_foam to trim a sub? Easy enough to duplicate with some resin and microballoons and can be cast to fill in the space in the hull completely.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...