X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Fish finder sonar

Can you use one of these to locate a sunken boat?
    Deeper Smart Sonars are wireless, castable, portable fish finder, specifically designed for casting or trolling from a small boat, kayak, shore and ice.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

A few years ago I looked at combining a steerable beam depth finder, a head tracker and a video head set. Instant underwater vision. That will find your sunken boat.

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

fish finder sonar wont find it unless you already over the top of it and if you know where it is to start with, a mask and fins would be more practicle. You are going to have to get wet anyway. If your in the PI, the water isnt that cold. However if its deep, a "Snake Mate" deep water pro costs around $600 and has a 98 foot cable and a scanning camera and a 7" monitor screen. If thats too pricey look up the "Aqua View" series of cameras and moniters. They start around 300 bucks and have several to choose from

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Okey.

But has anyone tried looking through a fish finder sonar how rc subs would appear on screen? Would it show up as sub shape or as a fish?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by redboat219
          Okey.

But has anyone tried looking through a fish finder sonar how rc subs would appear on screen? Would it show up as sub shape or as a fish?
          It depends on several factors. Most fish finder sonars dont show actual fish on the monitor. Just graffix of a fish. Some dont even show the size of the fish. Sonar is a radio signal that bounces back and is interpilated to a screen on the monitor. The more expensive fish finders can interpilate the signal to define various sizes, but not the actual fish. The icon on the screen just shows a generic fish. I use fish finders almost every day since I am a Florida Keys fishing guide. The signal you get off the bottom will not define the shape of the boat, but a line graph. The boat may not be sitting upright. Your best bet is to get wet or get a camera. I use the camera all the time to check out under the boat to see weather or not its worth the effort to stop and fish after we get the primary signal of active fish suspended between the boat and the bottom. Also for dropping the anchor without hanging up on a coralhead. Its a big time fine around here in the sanctuary. I used one to find an anglers cell fone that fell out of his pocket not too long ago. We were in about only 40 ft of water, and the camer goes out about 100ft. One inexpensive alternative would be a view box. A plywood box with handels and a glass bottom, like a big dive mask. A piece of plexiglass and a 5 gal bucket and some RTV or silicone tub and tile seal. Just hang over the side of the boat and have a look. Click image for larger version

Name:	fishbox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	92084 commercial bathyscopes are available cheap but a clear plexiglass vegetable drawer out of a refrigerator works fine as well. And you can put it back after you find the boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	fishbucket.jpg
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	92085Click image for larger version

Name:	aquascope.jpg
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	92086
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 09-14-2014, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Interesting…but not entirely correct. Modern ships depth finders have steerable beams and do show you exactly what's on the bottom either directly under the ship or forward in a defined beam. I had one on a 40 meter ship that we ran out of Cebu for four or five years. The beam would clearly depict underwater obstacles forward of the ship to a reasonable depth and with quite amazing resolution; better than .5 metres which would suggest that most R/C subs would be visible.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
              Interesting…but not entirely correct. Modern ships depth finders have steerable beams and do show you exactly what's on the bottom either directly under the ship or forward in a defined beam. I had one on a 40 meter ship that we ran out of Cebu for four or five years. The beam would clearly depict underwater obstacles forward of the ship to a reasonable depth and with quite amazing resolution; better than .5 metres which would suggest that most R/C subs would be visible.
              May I suggest you and von are talking apples to oranges. Von's a charter boat guy with small, cheap fish-finders. You, on the other hand conn big ships with proper sonar gear.

Ain't the same things.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

Jou done need no steenkin sheeep mon Ya just gotta get on of these Click image for larger version

Name:	NAVY_USV_WLD-1_RMMV_Testing_2010_lg.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	92109

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2013

I think that because of a limited amount of resolution, and graphics capabilities, any inexpensive unit will not have the resolution to delineate between the bottom, and the bottom with a sub laying on it. I would think that some sort of "pinging" device, and underwater microphone will find it more effectively.
                  A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Does anybody realise were talking about a toy model submarine in relitively shallow water, that you have to go in and get wet for recovering it anyway. That "some sort of pinging device" and "underwater microphone" is called a transdeucer and is an intrical part of any sonar and costs upwards in the millions of dollars on large ships. I dont think there available at the local hardware store cheap. Its like shooting down a duck with a million dollar surface to air missile for pete's sake. Give the guy a break

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

On the AMS site, they have schematics for making a inexpensive pinger and underwater microphone. Unlike the Keys where 60 degrees is jacket weather, there are places where the water is in the 40 degree range and hard to dive in.
                      A toy sub sells for $39.99, I am not sure I call our subs toys, but I am not sure what I call it, maybe my precious?
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

There is one problem with the pinger, it requires a programmed PIC chip. Those chips are only available to members, although I'm not quite sure what constitutes a member now that the group is basically an open house.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_3.JPG
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	92123
                          Look at the resolution on the screen. Specs says you could see your lure with this.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by trout
                            On the AMS site, they have schematics for making a inexpensive pinger and underwater microphone. Unlike the Keys where 60 degrees is jacket weather, there are places where the water is in the 40 degree range and hard to dive in.
                            A toy sub sells for $39.99, I am not sure I call our subs toys, but I am not sure what I call it, maybe my precious?
                            I realise that fact Admeral, but the state of the matter is, Redboat is in the Philippean islands which is below my latatude in the keys. I was there several times while in the Navy back in the 60s. I spent a lot of time on real submarines as well, so I would definately call these "toys" Ive been in cold water by the way, and way before most of you kids were born Click image for larger version

Name:	frogs at the s pole 1964.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	92124 1964 "Operation Deep Freeze"

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by redboat219
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]28421[/ATTACH]
                              Look at the resolution on the screen. Specs says you could see your lure with this.
                              http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...inder?a=949334
                              You are still looking at an icon graphic and not actually seeing the oblect. How deep is the water in question? Visibility? Once you locate the boat, how are you going to get it up?

Comment

Working...