X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bryanj0207
    Ensign
    • May 2023

Replacement model and help needed

I'm posting this message in hopes that David will see this post and can hopefully help...

I tried sending David a private message with more specific details; however, an error message suggest his private message quota has been exceeded.

David,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to ask if you might be able to help me with replacing a lost model of the USS Hampton (SSN-767). I was stationed aboard the Hampton when it was commissioned in '93 and we were given a model of the sub (boat) on a wood base with a clear plastic display cover.

My research suggest these commemorative models were made by D&E Miniatures.

Unfortunately, we experienced a natural disaster (tornado) in 2017 that damaged the model. For a number of years now, I have been heartbroken as I was quite proud of that model and my Navy memorabilia.

Do you recall making those models and would you be able to replicate one? I would most certainly Iike to pay to have it replaced if it is at all possible.

I sincerely hope this is something you can assist with or perhaps point me in the right direction. Please PM me for my phone number if we could possibly discuss on a call.

Sincerely,

Jerry​
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yes, Ellie and I produced about a hundred of those 'plank owner' models back in the day. Unfortunately all that tooling is long gone. Lost in a flood. Sorry.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

You might try reaching out to D. Clayton Meadows. He's a prolific submarine model builder who I believe only charges for materials. He can be reached in the "World of Bubbleheads" facebook website. (Private group for submarine qualified individuals only.) Good luck!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bryanj0207
        I'm posting this message in hopes that David will see this post and can hopefully help...

I tried sending David a private message with more specific details; however, an error message suggest his private message quota has been exceeded.

David,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to ask if you might be able to help me with replacing a lost model of the USS Hampton (SSN-767). I was stationed aboard the Hampton when it was commissioned in '93 and we were given a model of the sub (boat) on a wood base with a clear plastic display cover.

My research suggest these commemorative models were made by D&E Miniatures.

Unfortunately, we experienced a natural disaster (tornado) in 2017 that damaged the model. For a number of years now, I have been heartbroken as I was quite proud of that model and my Navy memorabilia.

Do you recall making those models and would you be able to replicate one? I would most certainly Iike to pay to have it replaced if it is at all possible.

I sincerely hope this is something you can assist with or perhaps point me in the right direction. Please PM me for my phone number if we could possibly discuss on a call.

Sincerely,

Jerry​
        Jerry,

As explained earlier, the tooling for the HAMPTON 12" 'plank-owner' models was lost in a flood -- seems mother Nature had it in for the two of us!

A small consolation are these photos I dug up. The first one is of plank-owner models Ellie and I built for the SPADEFISH. Such models were a significant portion of our model work in the 80-90's. An interesting aside: one of these can be seen in the opening credits of the, The Hunt for Red October movie. We built about 50 of those using our old STURGEON tooling. And just like the actual boat, there is a small white spade marking on the upper rudder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img20230507_14311651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	170992

And here are some grainy shots of two HAMPTON plank-owner models. Yup, that's Tom Clancy center-stage. The guy to the right is the sponsor who bought about 75 of these display pieces as a gift to the CO which were eventually handed out to crew members and VIP's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img20230507_14374384.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	170993

Click image for larger version  Name:	img20230507_14453507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	170994

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-07-2023, 08:04 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bryanj0207
          Ensign
          • May 2023

David,

Thank you very much for the info and the photos! I am sorry to hear of the loss due to flooding. As mentioned, a natural disaster can cause meaningful loss.

While I don't have a photo to share, as I was standing duty on commissioning day, I had one of Mr. Clancy's non-fiction Submarine books tucked in my waistband. As you may know, he spoke at the commisioning and as he approached, I was able to retrieve the book and ask for his autograph. For many years, I kept this autographed book on display, along with the plankowners sub model you made.

Thank you all for the photos and help. Hopefully I can find someone to rebuild such a model for display here again.

Jerry

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bryanj0207
            David,

Thank you very much for the info and the photos! I am sorry to hear of the loss due to flooding. As mentioned, a natural disaster can cause meaningful loss.

While I don't have a photo to share, as I was standing duty on commissioning day, I had one of Mr. Clancy's non-fiction Submarine books tucked in my waistband. As you may know, he spoke at the commisioning and as he approached, I was able to retrieve the book and ask for his autograph. For many years, I kept this autographed book on display, along with the plankowners sub model you made.

Thank you all for the photos and help. Hopefully I can find someone to rebuild such a model for display here again.

Jerry
            Jerry,

Once upon a time we produced a 1/192 resin and metal kit of the LA, both flight-1 and flight-2. Check Ebay and the like, one might show up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT0006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	170997

If you've got room for it, and you're up to assembling a big kit like this, I would recommend the Thor Design and Development, 1/96 LA kit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1607.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	170998

I r/c'ed mine and its been giving good service the last 15 years. A reliable and tight turning ride. Beware sail induced inboard roll in the turn!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1611.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.9 KB ID:	170999

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

If it's for display only, then Hobby Bos does a decent kit .....

Here are a few photos of the latest model to leave the bench. It’s Hobbyboss’s kit of USS Greenville (SSN-772), in 1:350 scale, assembled straight from the box. Cheers and wishes of a great 2022. Marco Preto https://www.youtube.com/user/marcopreto Instagram: @marco_a_c_pre...
              Last edited by DrSchmidt; 05-10-2023, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Just do it.
                https://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Boss-Angeles-SSN-688-Building/dp/B007CUITZO/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=3E238D1SY7J8H&keywords=la+clas s+submarine+model&qid=1683680381&sprefix=la+class+ sub%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-6
                Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Davjacva
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2022

Jerry, I was the torpedo division chief/ first lieutenant on the Charlotte (SSN-766) and we were right across pier 6 from you in new construction. I remember when Tom Clancy came down the pier to the boat, this was prior to commissioning of course. This was back in the summer of 1993, and in fact in August myself, my First Class and the FT division First Class rode the boat during Bravo trials. LIke us, you all had a great command, some boats didn't. I remember your XO commander O'neill very well, and also remember Jim Jennings who just made chief, and an M-diver named 'Hank' (can't remember the last name, but he also made chief that year. He and I served at PMT at squadron together and can't remember his real name. Also A'TJ' Johnson who I ran into all the time. He works over where I work now somewhere. O'neill went to become CO I think on the Albany, and I used to see him when he was chief of staff at squadron. There's a funny thing about Hampton/Charlotte that most don't know (okay, pay attention 688-Flight experts!!). The Hampton (SSN-767) was to be the first sub with the Seawolf Mod-25 incorporated into the engine room, but construction was delayed, but construction on the Charlotte (SSN-766) rear end was moving ahead of 767's, so the government/shipyard swapped rear ends, and some of the front sections too. So people were calling the Hampton the 'Champton' and the Charlotte, the 'Harlotte'. The changes also made Hampton from a 6th Flight to a 5th Flight and vice-versa for the Charlotte. Crazy thinking that was almost 30 years ago.

Comment

Working...