Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    See it online for the same at Walmart, Amazon probably as well.

Going to do a little research too. I just purchased ER11 Collets for my Snapmaker 2.0 and want to find something compatible.
    I see were there are other companies handling the same machines that I have! The quality in construction of the lathe and mill that I purchased are defiantly a step above the same machine in plastic. But they are in no way close to the machines that you, David, and Ken have. I will give them a try to see how well they work out. (live and learn)

NOW! I sure do like the looks of the Snapmaker 2.0 that you have! I think I will start putting my pennies away to get one of those!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    See it online for the same at Walmart, Amazon probably as well.

Going to do a little research too. I just purchased ER11 Collets for my Snapmaker 2.0 and want to find something compatible.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied

Until just last year I had the Taig "Mini-Lathe with the Milling attachment for...damn...about 25 years. LOVED IT! Got it off Al Matava (God rest his soul) at Ships n' Things at the WRAM SHow in White Plains NY. (Any one here remember that?!?!?) Al was an excellent Vendor and supporter of our hobby.

Anyway, purchased the Harbor Craft 10" Lathe based on Frank Salerno's recommendation last year, and gave my son the Taig. So I need/want a new Milling Machine for the shope.

So where's the link for this wee beastie?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180826_123808702.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	168940
    Hi Ed,

I purchased my Mini Milling machine and the Metal Lathe from eBay. (Link below)

Milling cutter size: φ3, φ4, φ5, φ6. 1 x Milling Machine. The quality of the product is improved, more durable and more precise. Large slider stroke(X axis): 45mm. Small slider stroke(Y, Z axis): 35mm.

There where several sellers! I think for the type of light work that I would use it for it might be OK!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi Ed,

After working a little bit with the 1st Plastic version of my new machines I can say the new metal ones are much better as far as precision. But with that being said they are certainly not up to par with the big boys!

There are applications where I think they will work with my 3D printing projects like end caps on WTC when you need to take just a little off to make it fit, and light metal work like a brass shaft that needs a little taken off or a key groove cut in for the set screw.

In order to get some height to raise the chuck up I have ordered some height extenders to help with the larger diameter end caps. All-in-all it's certainly going to be a learning process for me!

Rob
    Until just last year I had the Taig "Mini-Lathe with the Milling attachment for...damn...about 25 years. LOVED IT! Got it off Al Matava (God rest his soul) at Ships n' Things at the WRAM SHow in White Plains NY. (Any one here remember that?!?!?) Al was an excellent Vendor and supporter of our hobby.

Anyway, purchased the Harbor Craft 10" Lathe based on Frank Salerno's recommendation last year, and gave my son the Taig. So I need/want a new Milling Machine for the shope.

So where's the link for this wee beastie?

Name:	IMG_20180826_123808702.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	168940
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-26-2023, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied

Name:	005-homer-simpson-drooling.png
Views:	207
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	168911Eddie want.....
    Hi Ed,

After working a little bit with the 1st Plastic version of my new machines I can say the new metal ones are much better as far as precision. But with that being said they are certainly not up to par with the big boys!

There are applications where I think they will work with my 3D printing projects like end caps on WTC when you need to take just a little off to make it fit, and light metal work like a brass shaft that needs a little taken off or a key groove cut in for the set screw.

In order to get some height to raise the chuck up I have ordered some height extenders to help with the larger diameter end caps. All-in-all it's certainly going to be a learning process for me!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied

Name:	005-homer-simpson-drooling.png
Views:	207
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	168911Eddie want.....

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Good start Rob! When I bought my lathe from Micro-Mark around 10 years ago, I think it was priced about $850. Can't find the receipt. Now it's priced at $1599. At that current price I wouldn't be buying it. My lathe is 7x16. Harbor Freight has a 7x12 for $800. Little Machine Shop sells my 7x16 lathe for $1199. Glad I bought the one I did as having 16 inches bed was a wise choice. Just for the fact that I'm not crammed up by the tailstock, although it can be removed if it's in the way. There are plenty of other lathes out there as well. I'm guessing when I'm done adding tooling and bells & whistles, I'l be around that $800 mark for these extras alone.

I would like to have some sort of milling capability. Not sure how much I would need to use it. I like these kind of "toys". Perhaps sometime in the future.

It's fun to have neat toys in the shop to build our toy boats. (Some say toys, I'm not!!!!)

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Now you're cook'n with gas, Rob.
    Thank you David! I needed that encouragement from you! I know the lathe that you have would have been a tremendously much better machine by far. But with the only space I have for a working shop the smaller units just made better sense right now, and as you stated before, give them a try and if they do not work out, move up to bigger and better!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Now you're cook'n with gas, Rob.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    started a topic Mini Hobby Metal Milling Machine and Metal Lathe

Mini Hobby Metal Milling Machine and Metal Lathe

This blog is going to be a discussion or review of my resent purchases!

Click image for larger version  Name:	MILLING TOOL 3.jpg Views:	5 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	168894

Click image for larger version  Name:	MILLING TOOL 1.jpg Views:	5 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	168895

Click image for larger version  Name:	MILLING TOOL 2.jpg Views:	5 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	168896

I have been looking for a Metal Milling Machine and Metal Lathe for my small office shop! My wife purchased me a 6-in-1 power tool kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	METAL LATHE .jpg Views:	5 Size:	34.2 KB ID:	168897

It was constructed of hard plastic, and frankly speaking, it was a piece of junk! Luckly I was able to return it thru Amazon and get a refund. At this point I went onto eBay and found the two machines that I have photos of at the beginning of this blog.

The two new machines are made of metal with an anodized coating. On first glance I could see a SUBSTANCIAL amount of precision and quality over the plastic lathe that I sent back. For the money I spent on the two machines I could have got the same lathe that Ken and David have and knowing full well that there lathes are certainly a far better lathe than the one that I purchased. But space and the type of work that I will be doing makes the two machines I purchased a better choice right now! (this could change down the road)

The reason for this blog is to get some input on the different hobby type milling and lathe systems that others are using for there submarine building.

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-25-2023, 03:05 AM.
Working...