X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Ken, Now you're cooking with gas!

I presently have 2 Lathe's. the smallest being the Myford M10. I Purchased a Diamond tool Holder years ago. I use this one tool for at least 90 of my machining operations. This one tool is used for plastic, cooper, brass, cast iron, steel and stainless steel! check it out at:

I've machined parts for my Subs as well as 2 full size replicas of Sylvester Roper's Steam Bike and 2 full sized steam boats!. I have a quick change tool holder which I've used on all 3 of the Lathe's I've owned. I have numerous tools with replaceable inserts including different inserts for various materials and I now rarely use them!!

Keep up the great work!

Myron

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Years ago, my friend Charlie, who was a machinist, setup his full size lathe for me to make these globes as lighting on one of my boats. He set the lathe up and I did the work. Fast forward to today, he sadly passed away last fall and now I'll be needing to make some more. Was wondering how I can do this on my lathe. What do I do? Grind a blank bit to give me that end curve? Not there yet, and don't know if that would do the trick. Browsing through the Micro-Mark and LMS sites I saw this radius turning tool. So I bought it. Will have to figure out a procedure. Turn to diameter, round the end, do a cut-off, reverse it and bore out for an LED. When I get the chance I'll experiment. Excited to give it a try. Afterthought, this can be used to round the nose of torpedo's?

By the way, if you'd like to see Charlie's work. Check out this video I made of the functions of his 7.5 foot Coast Guard Cutter. He sold the boat on eBay as it was getting to big for him to transport. And he moved on to trains before his passing. He did amazing work and is sorely missed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	169116

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	169118

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	169117

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 4.50.27 AM.png
Views:	142
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	169119

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

The radius cutting tool is one method. Another is to employ a purpose shaped tool, like this:

Name:	DSCN0061.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	169125

Name:	DSCN0063.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	169124

Name:	DSCN0056.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	169123
        Attached Files
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Ahh, did not think of using a cut-off bit like that. I like it. But I don't have a good enough grinder yet to do any tool grinding. Was already looking into getting a new one.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
            Ahh, did not think of using a cut-off bit like that. I like it. But I don't have a good enough grinder yet to do any tool grinding. Was already looking into getting a new one.
            General International Bench Grinder 6" Twin LED Lights 2 Amp
            $59.99 ☆☆☆☆☆ (0/5)

Name:	dataurl447876.png
Views:	161
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	169130
            harbor freight mini bench grinder - Search Images

Name:	dataurl592314.png
Views:	154
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	169131

Harbor Freight is your friend. The big bench grinder for initial shaping of your tool; the small one for fine-tuning. Use a wet-stone for a proper edge.

Get to it Submarine-Boy!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Now here is the proper way to set up a lathe!

How Expert Manual Machinist Machined Roller For Aggregate Crusher Plant in Harsh Working Condition#machining #customfabrication #doublerollercrusher

Amazing Proces of Making Shaft for Industrial Usage |Astonishing Engineering Behind Giant Mill Shaft - YouTube

Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat."
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-01-2023, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Question for the 'experts'. My cross slide has 6/1000's of backlash and the compound slide has 2/1000's. This according to the dials on the slides. I'd say the compound is within tolerance but the cross slide seems excessive? Should I leave it alone? Or not?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                  Question for the 'experts'. My cross slide has 6/1000's of backlash and the compound slide has 2/1000's. This according to the dials on the slides. I'd say the compound is within tolerance but the cross slide seems excessive? Should I leave it alone? Or not?
                  Add oil to the tracks and tighten the gibs. Duh!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Snarky luddite!
                    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 02-03-2023, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Here is a link that might be of interest to you for tools and accessories!

Looking for high-quality machining tools? Explore VEVOR's wide range of machining equipment and accessories at competitive prices. Shop now for best selection.

Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Lots of stuff there Rob. Thanks.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

I'be been watching video's by Frank Hoose and BlondiHacks. Frank gets into particulars about mini lathes including adjusting and using them. BlondiHacks has a great series (30 mini hack video's) about how to use them and great explanations. Both of them explain things very well. In addition what David listed, I've seem many tools in these videos that seem to be a must have. I now have a short term and long term list of things to buy.

Frank has his web site called mini-lathe.com. While reading through it, heavy ad laden web site by the way, I came across this humorous anecdote. Carol and I got a good laugh from it. This is new to me so I'm just learning this stuff which many of you already are experienced at it.

Tool Envy Syndrome (TES) is a serious condition that afflicts, in varying degrees, nearly all men who are interested in mechanical things.
                          It is very important to recognize and deal with this condition before it becomes serious; left untreated it can lead to a far more serious condition: Inflammation of the Credit Card (ICC). TES is known to strike under the following circumstances:
                          • Browsing the latest tool catalogs or sale flyers
                          • Visiting stores such as Grizzly or Harbor Freight (Warning: while much less so than in earlier years, the tool department at Sears can still trigger small attacks)
                          • Visiting the shop of a friend who has more and/or better tools than you have
                          • Surfing the web site of someone with a well-equipped shop
                          • Seeing a well-equipped shop in magazines such as Home Shop Machinist
                          Tool Envy Syndrome tends to strike young men particularly hard, due its close relationship to a similar condition: Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). Over time, in most men, both of these conditions tend to lessen in severity.
                          In fact, it can be shown that gradual accumulation of tools and gear over a period of years can control both conditions while minimizing the risk of Inflammation of the the Credit Card (this is known as the Mature Phase).
                          It has also been widely observed that getting married and having children can moderate the risk; primarily, it is believed, due to counseling from a loving wife and the sobering effect of having lots more bills to pay.
                          Tool Envy Syndrome cannot be controlled by any known drugs (although its effects can be exaggerated by the use of alcohol). Therefore, treatment is currently limited primarily to counseling methods.
                          The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Here are some additonal pointers:
                          • Avoid situations that are likely to cause an attack
                          • When visiting tool stores, leave your credit card at home (Warning: in severely afflicted individuals this can trigger emotional breakdown, fits of crying and other irrational behavior)
                          • Meditate on the fine collection of tools that you already have; recognize that time will make it better
                          • Find a quiet place. Visualize your ideal shop. Repeat to yourself “It is coming”
                          I hope you have found this information to be helpful. As a TES/GAS sufferer myself (now in the Mature Phase) I felt compelled to pass it on to you.

Source: https://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_lathe/start/start.htm

Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

I've been watching video's by Frank Hoose and BlondiHacks. Frank gets into particulars about mini lathes including adjusting and using them. BlondiHacks has a great series (30 mini hack video's) about how to use them and great explanations. Both of them explain things very well. In addition what David listed, I've seen many tools in these videos that seem to be a must have. I now have a short term and long term list of things to buy.

Frank has his web site called mini-lathe.com. While reading through it, heavy ad laden web site by the way and may be a bit dated, I came across this humorous anecdote. Carol and I got a good laugh from it. This is new to me so I'm just learning this lathe stuff which many of you already are experienced at it.

Tool Envy Syndrome (TES) is a serious condition that afflicts, in varying degrees, nearly all men who are interested in mechanical things. It is very important to recognize and deal with this condition before it becomes serious; left untreated it can lead to a far more serious condition: Inflammation of the Credit Card (ICC). TES is known to strike under the following circumstances:
                            • Browsing the latest tool catalogs or sale flyers
                            • Visiting stores such as Grizzly or Harbor Freight (Warning: while much less so than in earlier years, the tool department at Sears can still trigger small attacks)
                            • Visiting the shop of a friend who has more and/or better tools than you have
                            • Surfing the web site of someone with a well-equipped shop
                            • Seeing a well-equipped shop in magazines such as Home Shop Machinist
                            Tool Envy Syndrome tends to strike young men particularly hard, due its close relationship to a similar condition: Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). Over time, in most men, both of these conditions tend to lessen in severity.

In fact, it can be shown that gradual accumulation of tools and gear over a period of years can control both conditions while minimizing the risk of Inflammation of the Credit Card (this is known as the Mature Phase).

It has also been widely observed that getting married and having children can moderate the risk; primarily, it is believed, due to counseling from a loving wife and the sobering effect of having lots more bills to pay.

Tool Envy Syndrome cannot be controlled by any known drugs (although its effects can be exaggerated by the use of alcohol). Therefore, treatment is currently limited primarily to counseling methods.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Here are some additional pointers:
                            • Avoid situations that are likely to cause an attack
                            • When visiting tool stores, leave your credit card at home (Warning: in severely afflicted individuals this can trigger emotional breakdown, fits of crying and other irrational behavior)
                            • Meditate on the fine collection of tools that you already have; recognize that time will make it better
                            • Find a quiet place. Visualize your ideal shop. Repeat to yourself 'It is coming'.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              Detail Nut of the First Order
                              • Sep 2010

LOL Ken, it's sounds familiar,

Name:	20230206_191611.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	169304

Sorry for the delay, but this is the thing i was talking about, those brass rods you can adjust to the diameter of the tube, when you are playing around with tubes it will give you some extra support.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Regarding backlash, I thought you were referring to the leadscrews for the various axis rather than slop in the slides. If it's the former your machine may have a split nut allowing you to reduce the backlash down to an acceptable limit. Naturally you can't eliminate it completely, else the machine will be locked up.

Comment

Working...