Name:	06DF2E69-F3FE-43AE-B3A4-AA7105D81B8C.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	167214
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

[QUOTE=Das Boot;n167213]No boats, just radios. Click image for larger version  Name:	06DF2E69-F3FE-43AE-B3A4-AA7105D81B8C.jpg Views:	27 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	167214[/QUO

Hi Casey,

That's a nice Ham set up you have! It surrounds you with easy access to all the radios and amps! I wish I would have taken the plunge and got my Ham License!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SHORTWAVE RADIO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	167218

I do get a lot of joy in the evening hours listening to you Ham operators and doing lots of shortwave listening! I have a Grundig Satellit 750 and my refurbished Hallicrafters Model S-85! Right now. I have a what I call a Random "V" Antenna that I get pretty good reception on 40, 49, 60, and 90 meter bands. I also have an Inverted "V" which works great on the 40 meter band. And most of my reception in Arizona is very good at sunset and 2 to 3 hours after, especially on the 40 bands.

Have fun Casey, that is a great hobby!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-01-2022, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	167240

While I'm a HAM too, I don't really do communications like you. However my "winter hobby" is to build replicas of WWII German radio equipment like this. And yes, I also have a multi band German U-Boat receiver in the closet, which I will eventually equip with some modern radio gear. But that's a really big project.
      My replica sets are used in the summer by reenactment troops. They're always short on functioning radio gear.

Comment

• tifosi12
        Commander
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        I wish I would have taken the plunge and got my Ham License!
        It's not hard. Get with a local HAM club and study the brief book. It's easier than building a RC sub. No more morse code requirement.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by tifosi12

It's not hard. Get with a local HAM club and study the brief book. It's easier than building a RC sub. No more morse code requirement.
          I passed my 20 wpm code a year before they did away with it.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by tifosi12
            Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	167240

While I'm a HAM too, I don't really do communications like you. However my "winter hobby" is to build replicas of WWII German radio equipment like this. And yes, I also have a multi band German U-Boat receiver in the closet, which I will eventually equip with some modern radio gear. But that's a really big project.
            My replica sets are used in the summer by reenactment troops. They're always short on functioning radio gear.
            tifosi12,

That is a very cool looking German radio! Must of taken you some time to get your hands on the German U-Boat receiver. What a great find!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELECTRONICS 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	167246Click image for larger version

Name:	ELECTRONIC 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	167247

Casey & tifosi12,

Have either one of you guys ever seen an Sound and Vibration Analyzer? And what would it have been used for?

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot

Casey & tifosi12,

Putting a Ham antenna the size that would give me good receiving and sending would be a real problem with our HOA. They would not allow me to run my shortwave antennas on my roof so I had to go to the attic space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELECTRONICS 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	167249

I still love to build and use shortwave radio systems!

Rob

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

I let my Amateur radio licence expire a couple of years ago. Subs took up too much time.

David H (VK2 FEAA.)

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Das Boot

Ouch!

I waited until code was no longer a requirement. tatadiii, tatadaaa

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

tifosi12,

That is a very cool looking German radio! Must of taken you some time to get your hands on the German U-Boat receiver. What a great find!
                    Thanks! I have actually more German replica radios than submarines. Got a whole closet full of them. Last project was a Feld Fu b2, a portable radio for a Panzergrenadier with which the reenactor was able to communicate with the commander in the tank. It was fun, particularly since they let me in the tank during the battle.

The U-boat receiver was a one in a million. TBH it is a Kriegsmarine multi band receiver. It might have been "only" in a German ship, but they did use the same model in the subs.

Here is a great website where you can find such items. I have bought from this dealer before, they are legit but shipping will cost you an arm and a leg:

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Casey & tifosi12,

Putting a Ham antenna the size that would give me good receiving and sending would be a real problem with our HOA. They would not allow me to run my shortwave antennas on my roof so I had to go to the attic space.

I still love to build and use shortwave radio systems!

Rob
                      I’m in an HOA. No one has said anything.

Comment

Working...