X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

I gotta ask....

Why on earth do you guys using 2.4 ghz radios make the antennas so garishly tall? Won't that system work with something that looks to be more scale? As a qualified 1:1 scale submarine driver, I know that if you have that little 1 1/4" tip sticking out, you could more realistically operate with a much shorter tube. Or is it 'cos we're all getting older and the eyes are going? For example, I just watched Bob's video of the Seehund and that thing would have worked fine with an antenna half as tall, which would be scale in appearance. Can't help it, I just have a thing about scale ships should have scale features!

Take care,

Bill
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

COB,

As far as I know, you're the only one who gives a $#*! lol. Are you a closet rivet counter like Merriman???

All kidding aside, by extending that much more it gives you some tolerance in operation. AND it really comes down to the choice of consumer. But there ARE several reasons.

80% of you folk run within 20' or so of the operator. Look at ANY regatta video for proof. Take Groton! All you children standing in the low end of the pool. You sat with me as I got up on the Podium and did shoreline laps!

So we ALL know 1.25" is that number, difficult to see at 100 yards. Easy close aboard. Plus it's the tolerance, warm spots, turtles swimming by, a finicky boat, acts of Neptune, whatever...maintain PD is a skill. Something more so with the less tolerance at PD.

Then you have SURFACE CRAFT morons who don't understand the right of way. I NEED to run deeper, and I have the bents scopes and hull screw chewing marks to prove it.

You simply don't have the tolerance like 75Mhz to get deep quickly when Fred Swendsen and his killer tug gravitates towards you!

Now granted, it's more noticeable on a 1/96 boat vs a 1/32, that's why I say keep the coveted 75Mhz for the 1/96-1/72 scale boats. But 1/48-1/32 revel in 2.$ghz. Some large 1/72 does fine as well.

FWIW, our boat, 1/96 GRANT? Scale....2.4ghz out the NAVSAT mast, but I run her only at smooth ponds and within good visual distance. SHARK? I've been 150 yds away.

My 2¢

Click image for larger version  Name:	istockphoto-1369311040-612x612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	166735
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 11-12-2022, 12:08 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by wlambing
      Why on earth do you guys using 2.4 ghz radios make the antennas so garishly tall?

Take care,

Bill
      Yikes! It's the periscope police! Everyone scatter!

But, really....? If we look at these plans of Seehund, the periscope is about the same height as the height of the hull. Then take a look at my build below that. Yeah, maybe I cheated it, like, and inch, but it's pretty damned close.

Yeah, some other builds saw taller scopes, but that increases the operational depth range of the boat and makes it easier to keep within signal range, especially for smaller boats.

Won't that system work with something that looks to be more scale?
      Yes, of course!

Can't help it, I just have a thing about scale ships should have scale features!
      To each their own. I say that if someone wants to build a boat with larger masts, let 'em. If they put oversized control surfaces on it, so be it! If they want to paint it purple with green racing stripes, let 'em! It's THEIR boat. You build you. They'll build them. Provided everyone is having fun and can take pride in the build, what's the real harm?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1436294939_seehund-razrez.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	166737

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-12 102414.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	166738

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

I did as little more thinking on this Bill...

Considering what Bob and I said. To each his own when the Farmer kissed the Pig. As I said before, there ARE reasons (by design) WHY I do it. I hope this is answering your question even though it may be unable to take that painful knot away from your brain when you see an oversized appendage. (No foul intent here.)

Look I dig it, especially if we once again had "scale" competition as we did back in the day. I personally never entered in those, knowing full well scale looks (other than GRANT) wasn't MY prime directive. I don't consider RC Submarines Scale Boats...YOU DO, DAVE DOES, I'm sure many others as well. Kudos for y'all! I consider them operational boats, subject to all that which comes to the downside of running them for hours at a time for YEARS of ownership. Again, Standoff scale is what I consider my running boats.

I probably have to duck now for all the incoming for expressing that opinion lol!!

Look if someone enters a boat with off scale mast's and antennas in a contest? Good for them, it's THEIR choice to lose points on bad scopes.

I have a different build philosophy than you do.

1-Functionality
        2-Durability
        3-Survivorability.
        4-Scale look/details.

Your number one is my last.

Now my static models?? I'll go toe to toe with the best.

Look at Bob Gaito's ATLANTIS, gorgeous bit super scale perfection. His forte. But in discussions with Bob he's fully aware of limited run venues for that boat and he's okay with it. As okay as I'm with in running SHARK in a swamp, where others dare not dive! And I have!!

Name:	Bownespark.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	166753

The year I bought the DeBoer SHARK off Jim Wheeler at Groton in 94, I was standing on the other side of the table from my proud new possession, when two folk (important SC people), who shall remain nameless, walked up to it and started commenting on how it wasn't to scale, ALL the scopes were wrong, the slit tape (1/32 black PWB Design tape back then) Jim used as welding lines were absurd (thought they looked cool), really put a pin in my bubble. About coming here, attending these things, owing a sub with these pretentions @$$holes. First thing I did when I got home was rip those weld lines off in shame.

Imagine if that was a newcomer and his pride and joy, what would he think about us? You know, the young ones you pedophiles all seem to chase to join us. You think I had a thin skin?? Everyone IS entailed to their opinions, 1st Amendment and all that, but we're also responsible for them.

But it didn't stop here, and some 28 years later SHE STILL WINS Awards;

Sorry, I got off track.

I am glad you brought this up, it's a great discussion. No ONE is right...no ONE is wrong. But there SHOULD be a reason.

So go message the temples, have a Whiskey, and enjoy that we're ALL different.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SubICman
          Lieutenant
          • Jun 2022

EMERGENCY DEEP!!!!!!! OHH WAIT, the 2.4 Ghz guys can't do that. I like scale a lot, but let these guys do what they want Bill. We purists will still run silent, run deep. They can have our receivers when we die!. Remember not everyone can be blessed to drive 1:1 like we did.....the things I could make 7500 tons of awesomeness do.

Name:	img_3_1668305002452.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	166761
          Last edited by SubICman; 11-12-2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

Nope, wasn't bashing anyone! Just curious. And yes, Tim, we did get to play with some really neat toys! Gotta love the USN! Where else would a teenager get to play with so much stuff that could explode you, crush you, or dissolve you! Ooh! And set world records for ice surfaces and stuff!!!! Sometimes I miss it!!! Not COW during a mid-watch, though. Will NEVER miss that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubICman
              EMERGENCY DEEP!!!!!!! OHH WAIT, the 2.4 Ghz guys can't do that. I like scale a lot, but let these guys do what they want Bill. We purists will still run silent, run deep. They can have our receivers when we die!. Remember not everyone can be blessed to drive 1:1 like we did.....the things I could make 7500 tons of awesomeness do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_3_1668305002452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	166761
              Listen up fellow SQUID, we only take BLUENOSE'S here in this Fleet, so wipe that brown off yer nose.

FWIW, 8700 tons of Continent Killer was able to do a lot as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MySafePlace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	166815

An actual Photo of the 631's Demonstration and Shakedown Operation (DASO) Launch, POSIEDEN C3, 1979

Click image for larger version  Name:	1979Patrol43.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	166816
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• SubICman
                Lieutenant
                • Jun 2022

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Listen up fellow SQUID, we only take BLUENOSE'S here in this Fleet, so wipe that brown off yer nose.

FWIW, 8700 tons of Continent Killer was able to do a lot as well.

Click image for larger version Name:	MySafePlace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	166815

An actual Photo of the 631's Demonstration and Shakedown Operation (DASO) Launch, POSIEDEN C3, 1979

Click image for larger version Name:	1979Patrol43.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	166816
                SHIPPY, Been Bluenose more times than I can count. Didn't think they let boomer guys do things like that, something about all the tide boxes needed to clean up after a ceremony were in windows back home.............

I'll give credit where credit is due tho, someone had to ride those boats.

BTW, I'm grumpy chief in that picture. That was our evening watch team on New Mexico's maiden deployment.

Happy veterans day brother....see you in Groton next year?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubICman

SHIPPY, Been Bluenose more times than I can count. Didn't think they let boomer guys do things like that, something about all the tide boxes needed to clean up after a ceremony were in windows back home.............

I'll give credit where credit is due tho, someone had to ride those boats.

BTW, I'm grumpy chief in that picture. That was our evening watch team on New Mexico's maiden deployment.

Happy veterans day brother....see you in Groton next year?
                  [QUOTE=SubICman;n166818]

That was Chief Lewis, MTC(SS). You don't see it, but that man AWLAYS had a cup of boat coffee in his hand​. Trust me it's there. Obviously you see me holding my cup.

Guess what...I still am!

All HAIL the CUP!!!

BTW, I had intended to xfr to a fast boat, but life (and a dame) got in the way tragically ending the what could have been lol.

Respect for my Fast Attack Shipmates

One Ship, One Crew,
                  One Shaft, One Screw....
                  No Slack Fast Attack!!

So in the spirit of our brotherhood of the Silent Service, here's the Meme I also made for my Fast Boat Shipmates....

Use it freely on Social Media and what not against Skimmer Pukes and Millennial trash.

Name:	Fast_Attack_18.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	166824

Unfortunately after hitting Groton Regatta's/Fun Run's since 92, I moved to Texas from Long Island last year. IF Bob get's his Citizenship, I do plan to hop in his plane with him and bring 631 to patrol North Lake once again to deter 1:96 Scale Soviet aggression with FBM Deterrent sweetness.

Maybe I can finally COB Lambing here to take the helm of what was also his old boat as well!

"scuse me while I wipe the brown off MY nose....
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

Ed,

I've got some Kimwipes if you need some! :) Thanks, but if I get 1 or 2 of mine seaworthy, I'll drive them until I'm happy with them.

Comment

Working...