• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The Magnetic Monster!

An A-man Production
    Who is John Galt?
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

David, can you please discuss the proper way of installing the magnetic hold downs particularly those on type vii, ix and xxiii. Those underneath the flat deck are easy. It's the lowers that I have trouble with. I've tried this technique with a Revell aircraft carrier, a magnet under the deck and an inverted L- shaped steel bracket glued to the hull. A lot of trial and error to make sure the bracket is at a proper height for the magnet to latch onto.

How does one glue the lower magnetic foundations so that both magnets are in contact with each other when the hull is closed?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      David, can you please discuss the proper way of installing the magnetic hold downs particularly those on type vii, ix and xxiii. Those underneath the flat deck are easy. It's the lowers that I have trouble with. I've tried this technique with a Revell aircraft carrier, a magnet under the deck and an inverted L- shaped steel bracket glued to the hull. A lot of trial and error to make sure the bracket is at a proper height for the magnet to latch onto.

How does one glue the lower magnetic foundations so that both magnets are in contact with each other when the hull is closed?
      The first three pictures of the initial post tell the tale. An in-depth pictorial and narrative as to how to position the magnet-foundation elements to the hull was covered exhaustively, years ago while the forum was in the custody of Mr. Caswell. That article is buried somewhere in this forum. That article, and many other in-depth posts by me are also lost in the spider-web/rabbit-hole of this forum.

Bob does not have time to dig them out, he's got a business to manage.

Any IT guys out there want to streamline the system???? I would appreciate it, the members here would appreciate it. Someone out there must have the Rosetta Stone.

David
      Tired of Repeating Myself
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

A while ago Tom and I cataloged most of the forum. Can't say we did the section that is talked about here. And the catalog has not been updated by either one of us since it's creation.

Anyway, here it is....
        https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2012733353

BTW, I tried to catalog David's 'Today's work' posting, but it's just too damn long and impossible to keep up with it.
        Last edited by Ken_NJ; 10-29-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Managed to find this just now,

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

Perhaps for Christmas we should get David a Magneto helmet to wear in his shop and on the beach?! Then, he could be both super and stylish! ;)

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
              Perhaps for Christmas we should get David a Magneto helmet to wear in his shop and on the beach?! Then, he could be both super and stylish! ;)
              Epic Movie Magneto

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (17).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	166180

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                You obviously have too much free time on your hands! Get back into you shop/cave... SLACKER!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

David and all, a short sort of funny story!:-))

I would like to relate something that makes me a little leery to use magnets. I have a defibrillator/pacemaker in my left upper chest, and Boston Scientific warned me to stay away from high power magnets, microwaves, welding equipment, and such. About a year and half ago I had a whole box of those small magnets actually got to close to my defibrillator/pacemaker! Well, I can tell you it sure screwed things up for a while. My home monitor went off, so I called the Banner Heart Hospital to tell them what happened, and they informed me that the Fire Dept EMS was already in route to my home.

It got to say it was scary for a while until things settled back down to normal! Long story short if you have a pacemaker DO NOT let magnets get to close to the device!

Another lesson learned!!:-))

Rob
                  "Fremen can stand the heat"

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

There is truth in your words, sir! :)

Comment

Working...