X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Passing of the "Godfather"

For those of you who didn't know him, he was a pioneer in the late 70's and 80's of our Hobby.

He founded SubTech and was instrumental to this hobby.

So it i is with great sadness I post the following message regarding Skip Asay...

I am Skip Asay's daughter, Jenny. I am sad to announce he passed away July 15. I was able to be with him at the end. It is heart warming to read about him in your group! I was always his shadow, following him in the beginning when he was first getting started. Many times I was sent into the water to retrieve a boat. I loved hearing he was an integral part of this! I found your site because when I came to his house, all his subs were gone. I was happy to find your site and discover his boats have all found good homes. It was such a relief!

I have no words to express how powerful this individual, how integrated he is, on my practice of our hoby.

Sailor, rest your oars.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

We all stand on that man's shoulders. Skip's the guy who invented, produced, and marketed the devices that opened up the world of r/c model submarining to everyone on this side of the planet. Through his many magazine articles, event lectures and Q&A's, and regatta attendance he demystified our hobby/obsession and invited us to join him in the fun.

Skip Asay. One of the Greats in this game.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

I am Very saddened by this news.I was lucky enough to have met Skip at a run in Groton. He Never saw me before and I was a Raw newbie to this hobby. He still talked to me and spent time explaining things reg. submarines. I left knowing more and more interested in the hobby BUT I felt like I made a friend. He will be missed.

Comment

• goshawk823
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2010

Godspeed, Skip. Our hobby is diminished with his passing.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

I met Skip several times at Carmel, Indiana. He was a class act, and one of the greats of RC subs. Rest In Peace, Skip.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

One of the first people I reached out to help with my very first build. I had an old leveler that wasn't working. He took it in, repaired it and sent it back for free. I wish I had the chance to know him personally...

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

A video of Skip from 1993 explaining all things submarines. Ray included this link in an email thread from the Groton group.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                One of the first people I reached out to help with my very first build. I had an old leveler that wasn't working. He took it in, repaired it and sent it back for free. I wish I had the chance to know him personally...
                Skip was that kind of guy. If you showed an intelligent interest in the hobby, he would back you to the hilt. In that regard I would call him an evangelist-engineer. He was the perfect gearhead. And he presented his work in so many mediums: Regatta lectures, regatta table demonstrations, panels, Q&A's, magazine articles, his product line -- which included two now classic vacufomed kits, Internet forum contributions, and his constant assistance at the water's edge of any event he was in attendance.

If you're looking back for the foundation of the North American r/c submarine game, then you'll find that it was Skip Asay who planted the cornerstones of that foundation.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                  A video of Skip from 1993 explaining all things submarines. Ray included this link in an email thread from the Groton group.

This is the first that I have ever heard of Mr. Asay! After looking at the video he is certainly someone I would have liked to have had contact with! May he rest in peace!

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• roedj
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2008

I first met Skip at one of the Carmel regattas. I was a complete newbie with my first RC sub, a 1/96 Small World Models USS Blueback, and could not get it to perform even closely to a prototype. As a professional chemist I knew the general theory (density, etc.) but what I had no hint of was the "subtleties". Over that weekend in Carmel with much questioning (OK, I pestered him - he was ever patient) he taught me the "subtleties". I am forever grateful.

I saw him again at future Carmel regattas - he was always a gentleman.

RIP, my friend, RIP

Dan - Captain Consoling
                    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

I met Skip at Carmel, Indiana. I took my two children at the time. Skip let my oldest, Christopher, take the helm alone. I was nervous, but he did well. Skip was a great person. God bless him.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2021

Very sad news indeed. Skip was one of a kind. Many fond memories with him. RIP dear friend.

Jason

Comment

Working...