• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Hms holland 1 build

This will be a 3D printed boat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.4 KB ID:	162453

I will be setting up my files and 3D printing this boat using PLA!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-21-2022, 06:22 PM.
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I recall mention of Dremel embedding a chip inside the filament reels that needs to be detected by the machine in order for it it to print and it can be bypassed by leaving an empty reel inside the printer.

Then drill a small hole in the printers case to feed filament in from outside, which also permits the use of larger 1kg reels.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

The model itself looks nice but the superstructure at the bow is shaped incorrectly, it should taper to a point,like this model-

Model available for download in 3D Studio format. Visit CGTrader and browse more than 1 million 3D models, including 3D print and real-time assets

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thanks, Andy!

I do appreciate all your advice and help aides. My whole build and the blog just seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot! (My Fault) I failed to do the proper research before I even started. Named the boat incorrectly, and the files are not the exact HMS Holland-1!

I am going to withdraw from this build blog, but I am going to finish the boat as is, even though it is not a true scaled down model of the full scale HMS Holland-1! It will be close enough scale for me. One of the other reasons I am building this boat is because of it's size which will be a great swimming pool runner for me!

Thanks again for all the advice and help!:-))

Rob
        No, Rob. Continue the commentary and pictures. There are grains of knowledge in every thoughtful post. And you convey a lot of good dope. You've acknowledged the scale shortcomings, that does not diminish, in the least, the value of lessons learned of the engineering involved. Keep plugging away and writing it all up.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No, Rob. Continue the commentary and pictures. There are grains of knowledge in every thoughtful post. And you convey a lot of good dope. You've acknowledged the scale shortcomings, that does not diminish, in the least, the value of lessons learned of the engineering involved. Keep plugging away and writing it all up.

David
          I second this motion!

Bob

Comment

• neitosub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

I believe this is the document you’re referring to:

Nate

Comment

• neitosub
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

That looks to be the right cable, but I would confirm with Bob before purchasing it. He also stocks them and ships them with his radio sets from what I see on the Drydocks website.

Cheers,
              Nate

Comment

• jphatton
                Lieutenant
                • Jan 2021

Nice progress on the hull printing, I look forward to seeing the model take shape.

This article may be of interest on the survey of the wreck of Holland No.5 boat which like Holland No.1 also sank while on tow to the breakers.

The Holland No.5 submarine is a remarkable piece of our naval heritage. She was the first submarine to actually be commissioned in the Royal Navy, on the 19th January 1903 at the same time as Holland No.3. The NAS has been involved in recording and researching the wreck since 2008. Discover more here...

Compared to the Holland No.1 on display at the RN submarine museum some differences in the deck layout were noted, indicated the evolution of the design in successive examples. The full survey report can be found here;

In addition an underwater guide leaflet for divers gives an overview of the key details and also includes a copy of John Lamberts plan of Holland No.1-5 It can be downloaded here;

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

The best quality First Person View equipment. Free or discounted shipping on all orders.Drone Racing, RC Airplanes, FPV Cameras, FPV Goggles, Video Transmitters, RC Quads, Drone Antennas, Lipo Batteries, and Ground Station Equipment.All available for amateurs, schools, hobbyists, government, and wholesale buyers.

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

Rob, that is nice. Keep it up.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Looking awesome, Rob! Can't wait to see this finished up!

Bob

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Are you planning on using that motor direct drive on a scale diameter prop?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Yes, I will be using the motor direct drive! I am going to run some experiments on sizing and shapes. I understand that this motor is capable of 16800 RPM at full throttle, needless to say you will not be operating it at full throttle.

Rob
                          Yikes! That's going to be exponentially more than you need/want. You can limit it via your transmitter, but it's not an ideal circumstance.

Bob

Comment

• Sam Victory
                            Commander
                            • Sep 2021

I hear you Bob!

This is what the person who designed it is showing for the motor.

And from what I can tell it is direct drive! And this is the motor that he specified for his build!

I just received a new Receiver that I ordered from you, and I will set up a test stand and use a Viper Sub 10 ESC to see how it operates.

The aft bottom hull section was designed specific for that motor also! If it's going to be a problem, and it might!? I will redesign it and work in a brushed motor into the WTC or use a brushless motor installed in the wet.

Rob
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	aa22b89c67ef25a72a4144561383bb3b.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	162696

Brushless motor works well in the wet and it just needs some maintanance after using it. There is a website from which you can refer to , quite a lot information for the Holland there.

V

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Looking at the design on the cults 3d website, it appears that the boat is not incorporating a scale prop, hence the spec of motor. I'm assuming they're using a smaller prop inside a hollowed section at the stern which acts like a duct

If a scale prop was used it would be around 3" diameter, so you would want low rpm, somewhere between 1000-2000RPM.

Comment

Working...