X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

USS Holland SS-1 Build

New project! PLEASE NOTE: I stand corrected! The photo and the boat I am building is based off the British HMS Holland 1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USS Holland ss-1.jpg Views:	59 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	162436

I am currently setting up the 3D files for this new build!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-21-2022, 04:49 PM.
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Cool subject Rob.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

And the setup in the stern will make for really great performance in an enclosed space like that. Good choice!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        And the setup in the stern will make for really great performance in an enclosed space like that. Good choice!
        Your BATSUB was a slightly modified HOLLAND-6. So, yes, that model will be a very tight turner.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

That's not based on the SS1, it's actually based on the HMS Holland 1, which the British licensed from the Electric Boat Company, much to John Holland's disgust. The British Holland boats were derived from the design used for US Plunger class, which were an improved Holland; longer and more powerful.

They handle beautifully, the only scale military boat that will out turn one is a Seehund.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
            That's not based on the SS1, it's actually based on the HMS Holland 1, which the British licensed from the Electric Boat Company, much to John Holland's disgust. The British Holland boats were derived from the design used for US Plunger class, which were an improved Holland; longer and more powerful.

They handle beautifully, the only scale military boat that will out turn one is a Seehund.
            I’ve read that the HMS Holland 1 was licensed through Holland himself, and Electric Boat. But, I can’t find any references to Holland being upset about it. Can you site your source?
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

"In John Holland's obituary published by the New York Gaelic American, John Devoy claimed that Holland had opposed the sale of his boats to England and been overruled"

Comment

• jphatton
                Lieutenant
                • Jan 2021

A bit more on the development and technical details of the British Holland boats and their successors (A, B and C Classes);

Comment

Working...