• Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Vertical Stabilizers On USS BLUEBACK

Click image for larger version

Name:	E83BE44A-973E-4C4C-94A0-45DF45B78692.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	160841 Can anyone show me a picture of the Blueback with the vertical stabilizers? The old saying is, show me a picture, or it didn’t happen. I’ve already shown the boat had no buoy’s such as the Skipjack. A diagram shows it to be sonar and not stabilizers. Anyone?
    Last edited by Das Boot; 04-08-2022, 09:09 PM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

They were stabilizers, with the capability of housing a PUFFS array facing outboard. 637s and 671 had the same design, though PUFFS had disappeared on those units by the mid-late 70s. Sonar upgrades and the advent of towed-array systems made PUFFS obsolete. In certain ships plans there are other locations along the hull where PUFFS were to be located as small "billboard" arrays. I don't believe they were ever installed on more than just a handful of boats. I think the 640 class SSBNs were also designed with arrays in their stabilizers, not sure as I didn't serve on any 640s. I now also recall a now departed friend of mine telling me that Blueback was the only Barbel unit to have the vertical stabs. He was a Sonar Tech on the west coast and built an absolutely gorgeous and accurate Small World Models (Manley) Blueback that ran beautifully.
    Last edited by wlambing; 04-09-2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
      They were stabilizers, with the capability of housing a PUFFS array facing outboard. 637s and 671 had the same design, though PUFFS had disappeared on those units by the mid-late 70s. Sonar upgrades and the advent of towed-array systems made PUFFS obsolete. In certain ships plans there are other locations along the hull where PUFFS were to be located as small "billboard" arrays. I don't believe they were ever installed on more than just a handful of boats. I think the 640 class SSBNs were also designed with arrays in their stabilizers, not sure as I didn't serve on any 640s. I now also recall a now departed friend of mine telling me that Blueback was the only Barbel unit to have the vertical stabs. He was a Sonar Tech on the west coast and built an absolutely gorgeous and accurate Small World Models (Manley) Blueback that ran beautifully.
      Thanks. I’ve just never seen a picture of them, and I would have thought they might be visible at the museum site. But I guess no one knew about the ones on THRESHER until they were spotted one on a wreck photo.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...