X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Nautilus Drydocks New 80mm WTC

I have a question about the new Nautilus Drydock 80mm WTC on/off switch wiring?

Click image for larger version  Name:	SWITCH WTC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.2 KB ID:	159938Click image for larger version  Name:	SWITCH.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	159939

Click image for larger version  Name:	SWITCH 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	159940Click image for larger version  Name:	SWITCH 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	159941

I already have installed the 70mm WTC in my 1:96 scale Alfa sub and it has the same on/off switch. Well, I somehow miss wired that switch to power and burned it up!

Could someone post up a wiring diagram as to how this switch would be wired from the 3 cell 11.1 battery pack to the switch and to the Viper 10 ESC? I must have wired 100's of ESC's when I was flying RC airplanes, but for some reason this switch is throwing me!! Thank you in advance! I know this is simple wiring, but the 80 plus rears are catching up!! :-))

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

AS A SIDE NOTE: I have seen Bob Martins new video on the 80mm WTC wiring! It does not show a wiring diagram on the switch, I could not see how it is actually wired!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-13-2022, 05:01 PM.
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Looks like a latching single pole push to make switch. Just slot the positive feed from your battery.

I'm guessing you connected both potentials from the battery to short it out.?

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Look at the switch and I’m sure there is a + somewhere. My suggestion is to get a magnetic on/off switch from Bob and do away with that push crap. Then install a fuse between the battery and everything else to eradicate F ups.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
        Look at the switch and I’m sure there is a + somewhere. My suggestion is to get a magnetic on/off switch from Bob and do away with that push crap. Then install a fuse between the battery and everything else to eradicate F ups.
        Casey,

I think you are right on! I have used those magnetic switches before, and they work great!

Thank you for your input!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

I second the remote switch idea, but the push-button works well, too.

I just posted up a video of setting up this cylinder to my channel. You can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrVB1HJCOc. I also go into how I installed a forward servo into this unit.

Bob

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman

I just posted up a video of setting up this cylinder to my channel. You can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrVB1HJCOc. I also go into how I installed a forward servo into this unit.

Bob
            I watched that, and it looks like an excellent product. But, IMHO, the push button on/off is a weak point. I have two cylinders and both have the remote switch. You don’t have to open the hull, just wave a magnet.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman

Bob
              Bob or someone,

I saw the YouTube! What my original question was! Could someone please post up a simple wiring diagram as to how the wires go from the battery to the switch and then to the ESC's? That would be a great help here!

Thank you in advance,

Rob

Comment

• wlambing
                Commander
                • Nov 2020

In the video, both terminals and leads into the switch are on the positive side. One from battery to the switch, and the other from the switch to the ESC. You only have to make or break one side with the switch to go on or off. Not hard at all. Sometimes we over think these things and they cause us pain. Believe me, I am well bruised!!!!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
                  In the video, both terminals and leads into the switch are on the positive side. One from battery to the switch, and the other from the switch to the ESC. You only have to make or break one side with the switch to go on or off. Not hard at all. Sometimes we over think these things and they cause us pain. Believe me, I am well bruised!!!!
                  wlambing,

Thank you for your reply. I believe I understand what you are saying! Please check out the photo below, and does it look correct as far as the power side goes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL WIRING.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	159969

Thank you for all the input!

NOTE: What size fuse link would you suggest for our submarines 7.2 V NiMH and 11.1 V 3 Cell Lipo? (Thanks for the info)

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-14-2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

wlambing,

Thank you for your reply. I believe I understand what you are saying! Please check out the photo below, and does it look correct as far as the power side goes!

Click image for larger version Name:	ARKMODEL WIRING.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	159969

Thank you for all the input!

NOTE: What size fuse link would you suggest for our submarines 7.2 V NiMH and 11.1 V 3 Cell Lipo? (Thanks for the info)

Rob
                    If anyone could respond to the photo of the wiring diagram, I sure would appreciate it! I know this stuff is pretty elementary to most guys on this forum, but for some of us that have not quite met the grade yet, this might be helpful!

Thank you,

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Looks fine to me. Remember to isolate one the ESC's BEC's, or both if you're using a separate UBEC.

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Hi! If there is time, could you please explain how that R&R balast system works?

Thanks in advance!

Jörg

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Pump in, pump out.

Comment

• wlambing
                            Commander
                            • Nov 2020

Rob, the diagram looks fine. I don't normally use fuzes, but in Bob's videos, he usually sticks a 15A somewhere between the battery and switch. Seems a bit high to me, but the general practice is 150% of what your ESC is rated too. 10A ESC = 15A fuze. If you use a separate BEC, disconnect the red signal wire on Both ESCs. If you don't go separate, only disconnect the red signal wire on one ESC. That internal BEC supply will then power your receiver.

Take care,

Bill

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
                              Rob, the diagram looks fine. I don't normally use fuzes, but in Bob's videos, he usually sticks a 15A somewhere between the battery and switch. Seems a bit high to me, but the general practice is 150% of what your ESC is rated too. 10A ESC = 15A fuze. If you use a separate BEC, disconnect the red signal wire on Both ESCs. If you don't go separate, only disconnect the red signal wire on one ESC. That internal BEC supply will then power your receiver.

Take care,

Bill
                              Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply's and very good information. You give clear and precise information and that is appreciated.

Rob

Comment

Working...