Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    I would go with a higher capacity ESC, Viper Marine strikes my fancy.

David
    David,

I may step up the size of the ESC, those are the ones that Bob Martin used on his 80mm video build, and said would work OK! Would you look at my wiring diagram and tell me if it is correct for the counter rotation I need for the Type VII?

Take a look as we set up a brand new R&R 80mm twin shaft watertight cylinder for installation in an Arkmodel Type VII model. Just getting started and have qu...

Thanks,

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-30-2022, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    I would go with a higher capacity ESC, Viper Marine strikes my fancy.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Getting ready to start the wiring process and I have a question about the two motor system on the 80mm WTC!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL MTR W 1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	160552

Name:	ARKMODEL MTR W 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	160553

I believe my wiring diagram is correct for counter rotating motors?! Not sure totally so would someone correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you,

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Now that I have the hull and the deck sections complete, and all the control linkages complete and operational, it's time to move on to the WTC!

Name:	ARKMODEL WTC W 1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	160514Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL WTC W 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	160515

I did have a problem with one of the servos that came with the WTC! After running a full check on the servos (which I always do) before installation and hooking up the arms to the control linkages. After running both servos with my servo tester, one of them stopped working completely. These little 9g servos are a dime a dozen and I have a good inventory on hand just for this type of situation. I replaced the servo, and everything is working great!

My next project will be to install a servo in the battery compartment end cap for the forward bow dive planes. Bob Martin had a YouTube out that shows how he did this very installation.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I fabricate the control linkages for the stern dive planes, rudders, and the bow dive planes!

Name:	ARKMODEL BP 1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	160393Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL BL 3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	160394

Name:	ARKMODEL BL 2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	160395

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I finished up the simulated torpedo system in the bow!

Name:	ARKMODEL TH 1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	160348Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL TH 2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	160349

Name:	ARKMODEL TH 3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	160350Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL TH 5.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	160351

Name:	ARKMODEL TH 4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	160353

I 3D printed the simulated torpedo's, and then slapped on a little red acrylic paint on the heads and the CA'd to the tubes. Touched it all up with grey acrylic paint At this point I am going to fabricate system to open and close the outer doors. Bob Martin submitted some drawings as to how he fabricated the linkages to achieve this function. Not sure yet! I may just add an additional servo to operate the outer doors!!!

Rob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    This is how I have done torpedo shutters in the past. They work very well.

Bob
    Thanks Bob,

The photos are a great help! I was not sure what I was going to do, but that looks like a great set up for one of the switches on my VEX radio! :-))

Thank again for the help!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    This is how I have done torpedo shutters in the past. They work very well.

Bob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I made some progress on the bow of the Type V!! today!

Name:	ARKMODEL TORPEDO 1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	160275Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL TORPEDO 2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	160276

I 3D printed a set of torpedo tubes for the bow section. I have the doors hinged so that will open and close. I may set them up to function in the future. I am also going to 3D print some simulated torpedo's to insert just inside the front of the tubes for effect.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I spent the day finishing up the stern section of my Arkmodel! I do have two brass props for this boat, but the ones that came with the kit are not to bad. They have threaded brass inserts and good heavy solid blades!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODER STERN C 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	160238Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL STERN C 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	160239

Next I will start work on the bow section! The bow planes and the torpedo doors. I will do the bow planes just like the stern planes, using brass rod and control rod. I will make the torpedo doors open and close, but I will not do any servo operation at this point, but maybe sometime in the future.

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-22-2022, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    So now I am moving onto the drive shafts for this sub, and again the supplied kit parts are somewhat crap in my opinion. They are using a piece of plastic tubing for the shaft bushing, not up to par!

Name:	ARKMODEL SHAFT.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	160219

I will be using a series of brass tubing to fabricate a more suitable drive shaft assembly!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I found I needed to go back into the rudder assembly and make a change in the center support plate.

Name:	ARKMODEL RC.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	160215

In order to take the deck on and off the stern screw was attached to the rudder assembly and it made it a real hassle. I cut the support plate back and fabricated a different support plate holder and now it is separate from the deck support screw!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I finished up the stern section rudder and dive planes controls. I did not use the control linkages that came with the kit. I used gears for the rudder system and replaced the plastic horn for the dive planes
    with solid brass!

Name:	ARKMODEL STERN 1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	160149Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL STERN 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	160150

Everything operates very smooth and will line up perfectly with the 80 mm WTC almost a straight shot from the control horns to the linkage from the WTC...

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    Very ingenious.
    Thanks Casey,

I love our LEGOS! :-))

Rob

Leave a comment: