Best RC Submarine Venues - firsthand sub skipper feedback requested!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Best RC Submarine Venues - firsthand sub skipper feedback requested!

I was on one of my online consults with a customer yesterday and the topic came up of the best venues to run our subs in. Obviously anyone can check Google Earth and see where lakes and ponds are, but I'm after firsthand sub-skipper experiences.

Please detail out any bodies of water you would recommend in terms of:
    1. Location
    2. Parking
    3. Electricity availability
    4. Water clarity
    5. Shoreline access
    And any other relevant details you can provide. Hopefully if we do this right, we can start some sort of catalog of venues we can run out boats in, and help out other people looking for a location as well.

Bob
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Get in tight with your local Jewish Community Center Athletic Director. Those facilities usually have indoor and outdoor pools and are very well maintained.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2012

Our place in So Cal is pretty good. It's Yorba Regional Park in Anaheim Hills, California. The water is clear and the weather usually is decent.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

DFW Area

Josey Ranch Athletic Complex
        1440 Keller Springs Rd, Carrollton, TX 75006
        Parking ~25' [8m] from the water
        Bathrooms
        Bulkhead/Ramp Launch
        North Texas Shipwrights at Josey Ranch 2/20/22
        I run there once a month.

Towne Lake
        1405 Wilson Creek Pkwy, McKinney, TX 75069
        Parking ~50' [17m] from the water.
        Bathrooms, Picnic Tables, BBQ's

Hope this FB link works.
        I run there once a month as well.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211107_155526563.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	159550

Crystal Lake
        Abandoned quarry behind a Best Buy
        1168 US-287, Waxahachie, TX 75165
        Good water, Beach Launch
        Dirt Parking close to water.
        No facilities
        My crew and I plan to check it out.
        Photo's

Name:	20220123_103307.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	159547

Name:	20220123_103112.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	159548

Name:	20220123_103124.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	159549
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I have been enjoying running my subs at the Big Bend of the Colorado State Park (http://parks.nv.gov/parks/big-bend-o...f-the-colorado)
          The water is very clear, unless you bring dogs and they enjoy stirring up stuff or towards summer time it can get busy with people.
          • Location -
          https://www.google.com/maps/place/35...4d-114.6489806

Click image for larger version  Name:	Big_Bend_of_Colorado.png Views:	0 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	159599
          • Parking - Hopefully the picture above shows that there is plenty of parking
          • Electricity availability - None available as far as I know.
          • Water clarity - from gin clear to a little murky depending on how much activity in the water.
          • Shoreline access - a few steps down and it is a sandy beach (there is a boat launch if needed)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Akula_002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	159600
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Gato_Split_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	159601
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Sjöormen_008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	159602

Some of the benefits are it is close to Las Vegas (spouses will enjoy that), but it is also 10 mile +/- from Laughlin NV. - food, gambling, rooms, and entertainment. Temperatures are mild - like right now it is in the 70s F or 21.1 C. with some days going to the low 80s F. There are bathrooms and there are shade Ramadas along the shoreline. Camping is available on site.
          Last edited by trout; 02-28-2022, 01:47 PM.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Had this submitted by a customer:

Lake Chelan is a deep mountain lake in North Central Washington. There are a few beach type swimming areas with shallow water around them. This lake is creepy clear! Near one of the marina’s, I was standing on the bow of our boat in approximately 20 feet of water. It was a clear day, calm winds, and the sun high in the sky. It was like our boat was sitting on a pane of glass… I could see the bottom clearly, fish, rocks…. Like we were floating in midair. Night ops with lights is also possible.

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Newcastle, New South Wales, Newcastle Harbour Foreshore park. Right next to honeysuckle foreshore is a fantastic place. Concrete bottom about half a meter deep. Really good with parking very close and shops a stones throw.

Name:	C058ADEB-828D-4A68-9DE7-69769A6FEB6B.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	161493

Name:	F2A9DD0C-F864-45DF-B306-07A41442C99D.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	161494

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Red Clay. Hands down.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Red Clay. Hands down.

David
                  Can't top "Red Clay"

Name:	P3170172.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	161501

You guys all have some great sub running ponds, and lakes! But mine does have 4 foot to 8 foot deep clear water to the bottom, plus all the amenities!! I am with David on this one, if I could travel it would be "Red Clay" :-))

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

I can’t think of any venue around here that beats Red Clay. It’s perfect.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                      I was on one of my online consults with a customer yesterday and the topic came up of the best venues to run our subs in. Obviously anyone can check Google Earth and see where lakes and ponds are, but I'm after firsthand sub-skipper experiences.

Please detail out any bodies of water you would recommend in terms of:
                      1. Location
                      2. Parking
                      3. Electricity availability
                      4. Water clarity
                      5. Shoreline access
                      And any other relevant details you can provide. Hopefully if we do this right, we can start some sort of catalog of venues we can run out boats in, and help out other people looking for a location as well.

Bob
                      Bob, I know you’ve told this before, but how did you discover Red Clay? I live close, and had not heard of it.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

We a friend of Steve's, Daryl, lives just a stone's throw from there and checked it out on a whim when Steve got into subs. Steve headed over there and took some photos and video for us and... the rest is history!

Bob

Comment

• SubSteve
                          Lieutenant
                          • Apr 2022

Originally posted by SubHuman
                          Had this submitted by a customer:

Lake Chelan is a deep mountain lake in North Central Washington. There are a few beach type swimming areas with shallow water around them. This lake is creepy clear! Near one of the marina’s, I was standing on the bow of our boat in approximately 20 feet of water. It was a clear day, calm winds, and the sun high in the sky. It was like our boat was sitting on a pane of glass… I could see the bottom clearly, fish, rocks…. Like we were floating in midair. Night ops with lights is also possible.

43" Skip Asay Marlin in Lake Chelan.

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot

Bob, I know you’ve told this before, but how did you discover Red Clay? I live close, and had not heard of it.
                            My buddy Darrell (he cooks the Low Country Boil) said the locals call it the "swimin' hole". We had been talking about trying to find a place and organizing a sub run and Darrell mentioned it. As Bob said, we went and took a look, I sent a video of it to Bob and Darrell worked to get Bob in contact with the owners and the rest is history.

Comment

Working...