X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

OTW Trafalgar - securing aft piece

I need your help. I have cut the aft piece off and I want to secure it to the lower hull. I am not sure about what OTW uses for their hulls, would West System resin/cloth be ok to secure the two together? If so, any tips?
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
    I need your help. I have cut the aft piece off and I want to secure it to the lower hull. I am not sure about what OTW uses for their hulls, would West System resin/cloth be ok to secure the two together? If so, any tips?
    Peace,
    Tom
    As long as the two surfaces are fully cured makes no never-mind if one is polyester or epoxy resin saturated glass. Just rough them up to get rid of wax/dirt/oil and increase the bonding area. Then bond and reinforce with glass tape, impregnating it with the resin of your choice.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Thank you!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• wlambing
        Commander
        • Nov 2020

Tom,
        OTW uses a polyester resin, and a really hard poly gel coat. Been using epoxies on these hulls for years without any sticking problems. Almost bullet proof!! Almost....

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Thanks Bill!

Comment

Working...