Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

"The best part is no part", Elon Musk

More and more devices (ESC, some servos, motors, some batteries, and fail-safe devices come to mind) are encapsulated or housed in their own watertight enclosure.

The ideal wet-hull submarine is one without a WTC, SD, module, box, or compartmented lower hull or other such dedicated watertight enclosure needed to house things that must be kept dry.

I'm not the first to make this observation. However, we are getting closer to the day when all devices needed to animate our r/c model submarine can operate in the wet.

Imagine how much simpler installation, maintenance, and mission checks will be with such a model! And you eleminate the most expensive element of the model submarine.

Kevin McCloud, call your office!

David
    Who is John Galt?
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Preaching to the choir!

Less IS more.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• KumaDog
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2021

Agreed.... but they still need to connect to one another.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by KumaDog
        Agreed.... but they still need to connect to one another.
        Clear, flexible conduit hoses between wires and devices.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

My Marlin has a spinning radar. The micro-motor is housed in a plastic housing. The wires exit the bottom and go thru a plastic flexible tube which is open to the water. I know this works well as the Marlin was lost underwater for nearly 8 months. As I was building the boat I tested this in the pool and the water hardly compressed the air. This is good as long as the boat remains upright.

The plastic case I made for those resistors did not hold up. The etched circuit board was corroded. Pulled out the circuit board and went another route with the wiring of the LED's and all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1624.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	156517

Comment

• Schmitty1944
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2021

If nothing is perfect the closer you get to nothing the more perfect it is.

Jason

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
              My Marlin has a spinning radar. The micro-motor is housed in a plastic housing. The wires exit the bottom and go thru a plastic flexible tube which is open to the water. I know this works well as the Marlin was lost underwater for nearly 8 months. As I was building the boat I tested this in the pool and the water hardly compressed the air. This is good as long as the boat remains upright.

The plastic case I made for those resistors did not hold up. The etched circuit board was corroded. Pulled out the circuit board and went another route with the wiring of the LED's and all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1624.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	156517
              Ken,
              Your stuff is first rate. Up there with the best. I wish I was as smart as you and the rest. David, Bob, Steve, etc.
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot

Ken,
                Your stuff is first rate. Up there with the best. I wish I was as smart as you and the rest. David, Bob, Steve, etc.
                It ain't smarts. It's tenacity! Guy's like Ken, Nick, Bob, me and others -- we can't quit till the jobs done right. A trait we don't see too much of these days.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

If I see something done once, I can duplicate it. It’s coming up with it on my own. I’ve done it a couple of times, but I’m no engineer.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                    If I see something done once, I can duplicate it. It’s coming up with it on my own. I’ve done it a couple of times, but I’m no engineer.
                    Coming up with it on our own. No, Casey. We don't do that. Everything we do is a variation on what others did before us -- it is, if you will, all a variation on the 'wheel'. All we do today is refine and redefine what was already discovered/invented.

David
                    No Engineer, but a ****ing good Mechanic
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Coming up with it on our own. No, Casey. We don't do that. Everything we do is a variation on what others did before us -- it is, if you will, all a variation on the 'wheel'. All we do today is refine and redefine what was already discovered/invented.

David
                      No Engineer, but a ****ing good Mechanic
                      Well said. Nothing I do is original. Everything I’ve done has been done before me. The stuff I make is to reflect as close possible the work that was done before me. If you look at my torpedo launchers closely they follow the same basic principals as the originals. Strike fame from your ambitions of being original and be humbled by the work of those that have come before you

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Well said. Nothing I do is original. Everything I’ve done has been done before me. The stuff I make is to reflect as close possible the work that was done before me. If you look at my torpedo launchers closely they follow the same basic principals as the originals. Strike fame from your ambitions of being original and be humbled by the work of those that have come before you
                        Well stated Nick!

Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...