X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Good example why using fuses in you build is a good idea

Recently pulled an old Midwest products Boothbay Maine lobster boat off the shelf and refitted it with a 28mm 1100kv brushless out runner motor and some 3s LiPo batteries. Here’s the initial test run from today. A bit of a step up in performance from the old 540 brushed can motor and NiMh batteries… The test was just for fun.

Here’s a brief video

Snagged a floating leaf in the prop and popped the 10amp in-line fuse to the motor. Still had power to the control systems as they were on an isolated circuit.
  • cheapsub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2019

Try this type of auto reset fuse, should find them in local auto shop.
    Tips from a old modeler.

Exp
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BZY6DB...H8Q7YDMCY5AAT? psc=1

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Fuses have always been a good idea.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• KumaDog
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2021

Agreed, fuses are always a good idea, but the auto reset breakers are a step up. They will often aloow one to clear a fouled prop enough to get back to shore, without having to pay TowBoat.....

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KumaDog
          Agreed, fuses are always a good idea, but the auto reset breakers are a step up. They will often aloow one to clear a fouled prop enough to get back to shore, without having to pay TowBoat.....
          In a real-life situation, yes. But if your model dead in the middle of the pond you'll still need someone to push you in, unless you got a tiny crew onboard who's going to clear the prop and reset the breakers.
          Last edited by redboat219; 11-03-2021, 09:42 AM.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Fusing is most often an over-kill safety-measure. You blow up an ESC. So what! Modern ESC's, -- many of them -- have an internal thermo-resetting fuse anyway. After 25 years of active r/c submarine driving I've only had one major over-load initiated over-pressure event. And I've got more water-time than ANY of you guys, that's why I speak authoritatively here. So. Heed my words or go on, as some of you are want to do, spinning around in a circle as you make assumptions and generate boggy-men that don't' exist.

You are best advised to take direction from a Master over an Apprentice. Duh!

This forum -- this thread specifically -- is suffering from 'what if' syndrome; too many, who have yet to get a boat in the water, asking too many questions. Yes! There ARE stupid questions. Ground your question to actual, physical problems you've encountered; questions born of real problems that manifest as you assemble, build, fix, maintain, or operate your r/c model submarine. Enough naval gazing! Enough 'what if' horse-****.

Get away from the computer screen, drag your lazy ass into the shop, and get back to work -- only come out and bang on your keyboard when your encounter a real honest-to-God problem that me or another seasoned 'expert' can help you with.

Crawl, stumble, walk, jog, run, sprint. In that order!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Geez…..

The video is silly and was mainly for amusement purposes showing an obviously way over powered scale model fishing boat just for fun.

The video did however demonstrate the esc being protected by the fuse when the prop was fouled with leaves. Sure I could blow up the esc instead of the fuse but why? I had the boat retrieved, the prop cleared of debris and the fuse replaced in less than 5 minutes.

Nick

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                Geez…..

The video is silly and was mainly for amusement purposes showing an obviously way over powered scale model fishing boat just for fun.

The video did however demonstrate the esc being protected by the fuse when the prop was fouled with leaves. Sure I could blow up the esc instead of the fuse but why? I had the boat retrieved, the prop cleared of debris and the fuse replaced in less than 5 minutes.

Nick
                Not a shot at you, Nick. You've clearly demonstrated your credentials.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• type7
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Apr 2009

The link to Amazon showed a lot of reasonable alternatives. Didn't know there was that good a selection out there. Still, I like the one Kevin makes which is much smaller with a 10 amp cutoff and works with a magnet as a on/off switch for your boat.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by cheapsub
                    Try this type of auto reset fuse, should find them in local auto shop.
                    Tips from a old modeler.

Exp
                    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BZY6DB...H8Q7YDMCY5AAT? psc=1
                    Yes those are very handy. I use these in a couple of my classic cars.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Not a shot at you, Nick. You've clearly demonstrated your credentials.

David
                      I felt fairly certain that wasn’t a shot at me but let me be honest. I’ve asked some pretty dumb questions, done some pretty stupid things and have been guilty of over thinking the “what if” in the past and I’ve deserved getting my ass handed back to me for doing so! Everyone needs a good ol fashion humbling from time to time. : )

Nick

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

We need to fit Dave with a thermal fuse.
                        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

I felt fairly certain that wasn’t a shot at me but let me be honest. I’ve asked some pretty dumb questions, done some pretty stupid things and have been guilty of over thinking the “what if” in the past and I’ve deserved getting my ass handed back to me for doing so! Everyone needs a good ol fashion humbling from time to time. : )

Nick
                          Hey, I've gotten my share of lumps and marks along the way.

My nick-name in the GILMORE's steam-shop (I worked MK-14 torpedo after-bodies) was 'OP'. Stood for Operational Publication -- I was so left-handed I had to have the manual at hand when doing my job.

It's been a long bumpy road from dumb-ass-jerk-off-know-nothing to elite model-builder, I can assure you!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Geez…..

Nick

Overpowered fishing boat? I think not...it might be close to scale! watch this:

#lobsterboats #lobsterboatracing #maine #powerandmotoryachtWild, Wild Ride: Racing on board the world's fastest lobster boats in Maine. Rule #1 of lobster bo...

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato

Overpowered fishing boat? I think not...it might be close to scale! watch this:

#lobsterboats #lobsterboatracing #maine #powerandmotoryachtWild, Wild Ride: Racing on board the world's fastest lobster boats in Maine. Rule #1 of lobster bo...
                              The infamous Lobster boat races! Man that look like it is a blast!

Read somewhere that most of these boats used in the races are only used for racing and at least one boat was known to have well over 1000hp

Comment

Working...