X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Not sub related but feeling dated

I was searching the interwebz this afternoon for some miniature marine steam engine info I recalled running across years ago. In my search I ran across an old informational YouTube video I did 12 years ago for one of my US dealers, filmed out back at my old machine shop. It was for one of the Heron steam plants I designed and used to manufacture in-house and sold all over the world. I both miss and don’t miss those days. I always joked with whomever asked how it was all made, “i use the worlds most advanced technology to make antiquated technology”

Purchas this engine from http://www.ministeam.comMiniSteamThe Monahan Heron, is a double acting, slide valve, twin cylinder 3/8 in bore, 3/8 in stroke steam ...
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Beautiful work.

How about putting one of those in a submarine? Click image for larger version

Name:	images (5).jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	154634
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images (6).jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	154635
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Halcyon66
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Oct 2021

Great reference site, spent some time going though it today.

Regards,

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
        I was searching the interwebz this afternoon for some miniature marine steam engine info I recalled running across years ago. In my search I ran across an old informational YouTube video I did 12 years ago for one of my US dealers, filmed out back at my old machine shop. It was for one of the Heron steam plants I designed and used to manufacture in-house and sold all over the world. I both miss and don’t miss those days. I always joked with whomever asked how it was all made, “i use the worlds most advanced technology to make antiquated technology”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0lZRZVPIY
        You are an amazing Dude, Mr. Monahan!

Comment

• Sam Victory
          Commander
          • Sep 2021

The HMS K class submarine is a steam-powered submarine, driven by steam turbines at the surface, so it has a high surface speed. The smoke is emitted from the thick chimney when running on the surface, when submerged, the chimney can be retracted into the boat and switched to electric propulsion.

Name:	R-C.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	154651

Name:	R-C (1).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	154652Click image for larger version

Name:	R-C (3).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	154653Click image for larger version

Name:	K-CLASS-1.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	154654

Name:	R-C (2).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	154655

Plans:

Name:	K class sub.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	154656

Name:	K-CLASS sub.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	154657

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
            Beautiful work.

How about putting one of those in a submarine? Click image for larger version

Name:	images (5).jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	154634

Name:	images (6).jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	154635
            Thank you!

In regards to steam in a submarine like the boat referenced above, it is definitely possible to do in a scale model but it would probably be more of a hassle to service and operate the model then it is worth in my experience

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by rwtdiver

How ironic! Today I was just looking at some of your product designs!

This is the Krick Alexandra that I was considering to build! And it looks as if it they used one of your steam systems! I am getting a little burned out on submarines, so I thought I may give steam powered boats a go! Looks like a great hobby!

"Firemen can stand the heat"
              Rob
              Rob,

The Krick Alexandra would be a great choice to start with but if I may suggest another option, the Krick Anna would be another great choice. Just like building submarines, with steam boats it best to keep them simple. The engine and boilers in the pictures you posted were not made by me.

If you want your first steam boat build to be fun, successful and easy to operate then I would say the best combination in my opinion would be a Krick Anna with a Chedder Models Pintail Vertical steam plant. The Pintail steam plants are long out of production but they come up for sail every so often on flea bay.

Like submarines, steam boats are not a cheap hobby if you want to build one that works well and is a solid dependable performer.

For RC steam boat models, the best boilers are heated with butane/propane burners. In this category not all boiler manufacturers are equal. Steer clear of the overseas offerings.

For engines, simple single cylinder designs are not self starting or reversible. Two cylinder engines that have 90 degree crankshaft throws and are of a double acting design (meaning steam is admitted and exhausted on both sides of the piston) are usually self starting, reversible and are controllable proportionally in both directions.

The Krick Alexandra requires a small light weight vertical boiler like the Pintail that were made by Cheddar Models. Larger boilers like the ones shown in the pictures you posted will make the Alexandra very unstable and tippy. I suggest a model like the Anna because the length to width ratio makes for a very stable platform that will have a great turning radius if you wish to operate in a small pool and still have a model that you can take to a larger pond or lake and be able to tolerate rougher seas without being swamped and sinking.

Regards,
              Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato

You are an amazing Dude, Mr. Monahan!
                Thanks Bob!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Sam Victory
                  The HMS K class submarine is a steam-powered submarine, driven by steam turbines at the surface, so it has a high surface speed. The smoke is emitted from the thick chimney when running on the surface, when submerged, the chimney can be retracted into the boat and switched to electric propulsion.

Name:	R-C.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	154651

Name:	R-C (1).jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	154652Click image for larger version

Name:	R-C (3).jpg
Views:	129