X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

007 Thunderball Underwater Sea Buggy

The Japanese model company Imai once made a kit of the UW sled used by the bad guys in Thunderball to place two massive bombs. When comparing the kit with what was used in the movie you see how they did a "Lindberg": Lots of things plain wrong, probably in theirs somewhat misguided attempt to create a functioning UW toy. So I tried to fix some of the mistakes with 3D printed parts, but didn't address everything. My finished model is cute enough to let it float in the pool, but it isn't a RC submarine. So how did I dare putting it in here? Well, many projects described on here don't make it to the working RC stage. :p

Seriously I love the looks of the UW sea buggy and wish somebody would create a 3D model of this thing. Sized up severely it would probably make for a very cool RC sub. The center section is just about long enough to hold all the internals, the control surfaces are huge and so a dynamic diver would be possible.

Pictures below are: scene from the Bond movie, the box of the model kit, a picture of my model in the pool and a rare picture of the real UW sea buggy, which apparently did work and was not just a prop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond_Cosmos1.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	154152

Name:	IMG_1946.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	154153

Name:	G0022559 (2).JPG
Views:	207
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	154154

Name:	cosmos_cm0184.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	154155
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Man.. If I had decent drawings to go off of, I'd take a stab at drafting that thing for practical operation.

Bob

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman
      Man.. If I had decent drawings to go off of, I'd take a stab at drafting that thing for practical operation.

Bob
      That was kinda my hope/reason for posting: I was hoping somebody might either take this on or know of a 3D model for this thing.

Needless to say I'm a huge Bond fan. And there has been a number of submarines featured in the many Bond movies, yet when you do a search for any that made it into the kit/toy form, only the Lotus and this kit from Imai pop up. At least that's all I found.

Comment

• tifosi12
        Commander
        • Jul 2020

I found this interesting website, which states that underneath the fake gullwings there is actually a real life submersible:

Last edited by tifosi12; 10-09-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Since the core of the submersible is actually a real Navy UW craft, this might even interest our resident luddite. :)

Comment

Working...