X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Underwater sounding device

Before I start designing something myself I'll ask. And I have not looked around yet. Is there a waterproof device that emits a sound, something like a ping, does not need to be a continuous sound, that can be used to locate a down submarine model? A sound that is not annoyingly loud that is enough that can be heard when you dip your ears underwater. Something tiny enough that would use maybe a coin size battery.
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Couple of articles from AMS
    Some details of the new ultrasonic Pinger which I have been working on recently. The old Pinger did a very good job and saved quite a few subs over the years (m

The instructions for the very useful Loughborough unit can be found at: The hydrophone itself: http://sonar-fs.lboro.ac.uk/uag/downloads/bender2.pdf The preampl
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

Building a waterproof audible transmitter is not difficult. You can find plenty of low voltage piezo-electric units @ digi-key.
      Here's but one: PT-2725WQ Mallory Sonalert Products Inc. | Audio Products | DigiKey

Locating the direction of the sound is several orders of magnitude more complex. Immersing your ear(s) in the water won't do much of anything; you can get the same effect with a long tube.

(Putting on my sonarman's hat now) . . . Sound travels four times faster through water than air, but because of the way it propagates, your chances of locating the source in 3 dimensions is slim to none. For that, you need a directional receiver with the means to detect the changing amplitude of the source as you sweep in bearing and azimuth.

A far more efficient way of finding a bottomed boat is with high-intensity strobes or LEDs. Useless in murky water, where a released buoy on a tether would be more practical.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

something else that might be more fun than mounting a Ping is Dolphin Ear http://www.dolphinear.com/ - you could drop that in pool / pond side and listen passively.
        You could listen to your subs / targets / background noise and even generate the sonar waterfall type display - OR maybe even listen to an onboard pinger.
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• wlambing
          Commander
          • Nov 2020

Ken,

For Marlin, I would go with a marker buoy. She's already got the aft buoy in a great exposed location! Build a hollow buoy and fab up a spool filled with, say 20' of 2 lb test mono fishing line, attach one end to hull, the other to the buoy. There's room in the superstructure back there. Or, even up forward, where you already have that hatch where the buoy would be. The trick is coming up with a failsafe type of release mechanism. There are discussions about such things in these forums. You just gotta find something that suits your requirements. I trust that with your skills, something slick will arrive in short order!! Nice seeing you this past weekend!

Bill

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
            Ken,

For Marlin, I would go with a marker buoy. She's already got the aft buoy in a great exposed location! Build a hollow buoy and fab up a spool filled with, say 20' of 2 lb test mono fishing line, attach one end to hull, the other to the buoy. There's room in the superstructure back there. Or, even up forward, where you already have that hatch where the buoy would be. The trick is coming up with a failsafe type of release mechanism. There are discussions about such things in these forums. You just gotta find something that suits your requirements. I trust that with your skills, something slick will arrive in short order!! Nice seeing you this past weekend!

Bill
            Tethered buoys are only good for getting fouled in the propeller(s) when they deploy accidently (and they WILL!), and present an added complexity to an already maintenance heavy vehicle. Sound and lights is the ticket. From a guy who's probably put in more in-water toy-submarine salvage time than this entire group combined.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meindivedress.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	153429

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Hello David,

Could I get your opinion on some hull mold questions over at "tool time" please?

Thank you

David h

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davidh
                Hello David,

Could I get your opinion on some hull mold questions over at "tool time" please?

Thank you

David h
                ... I just got back late last night from the Groton event. I gave your post a quick look this morning and like what I see in your sketches. I'll give my full attention to your questions tomorrow, David.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks David,

Standing by.

Comment

Working...