X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saltydog
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2021

My own design UUV/Sci-Fi submarine.

My own UUV design. Been focusing on this for a few months. Thought i would modify the files and share so you could make a cool looking rc submarine/uuv/drone etc. Have fun.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SEAHORSE1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	151375
    Another view: Click image for larger version  Name:	seahorse3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	151376
    My prints came out nicely with PETG. Used my Flashforge Guider 2's to print. at .20 resolution and roughly 40 hours to print.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	151377 A little sanding, and finishing and i think this will look great. Big enough for a 4" subdriver.
    I have STL files im willing to share if your interested.
    Attached Files
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Nice, love seeing original designs.

Questions:

1-What design criteria prompts location of that sail(?) so far aft?
    Hydrodynamics? Aesthetics? Looks cool?

2-She designed for speed? Looks fast, but then again there is a golden rule for L/W ration on a submerged body. I thought I remember 10:1 or 13:1 or something like that in a Popular Science mag from decades ago. But if you are looking for speed, I'd go with a BELUGA/SKIPJACK Hull form. Maybe even mimic nature, Say a Tuna or MAKO, Nature does have 400MY's of experience.
    Always wanted to try that myself after I saw a very cool SCI-FI sub on a paperback patterned after a shark..

3-Manueverability. I think the 3, 120 degree stern feathers looks cool, but for better performance I think the X tail would be an improvement. Don't get me wrong, less wetted surface will reduce drag, but may make her problematic in control, especially with than rather large fin like sail inducing a rolling moment heading into a turn. I'm wondering now if rotating the tail feathers 180 along the main axis so the rudder faces DOWN would help. Certainly on the surface I would think as your not losing the rudder to air.

These points are strictly conjecture, thought experiments if you will and by no means meant to discourage what your doing. If anything we need MORE experimentation like this as opposed to the same old "What SubDriver are you using this week?" discussions.

Pleas follow through and keep us up to date
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Reminds me of those Japanese Aquaracers Click image for larger version

Name:	GCHS_424.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	151385Click image for larger version

Name:	taka042.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	151386Click image for larger version

Name:	taka041.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	151387

Notice the Y-tail in the top photo.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• saltydog
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jun 2021

My idea was an autonomous -unmanned spy sub. i wanted it to look different. I thought the sail in that location would be greet to look more aggressive and at least look like something high tech.: Something DARPA would have built.

Your right about the X-tail design being a far greater design. But this setup, was about something easy and manageable, i do have the original x-tail design for the real life version of this but the control surfaces are 50% smaller.

Comment

Working...