Name:	dai0j.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	100915Click image for larger version

Name:	0_55603_6abd8a18_XXL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	100914
    These two pictures, one of the Sarov and the other of a Kilo, have the same thing in common. Worn out diesel engines. The tell tale ofcourse is the blue smoke. In the case of the Kilo its the Aux. diesel but still. In the Sarov, thats way too new of a boat to have this going on.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • NavyICman
    Lieutenant
    • Jun 2010

Hate to tell you this, but that is a normal indication for submarine diesels.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Indeed.

If it ain't belching white smoke at start-up, it ain't right. Particularly American two-stroke types.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Thats what I like about you guys, good feedback! There are some unanswered questions here. What color is the smoke and is it at startup? Although true, Ive never worked on a "submarine diesel" I do make my living as a diesel mechanic in a commercial environment. While I cannot deny you men have the hands on actual experience on a submarine, something is amiss here. Ive worked on John Deere, Cummins, Detroit both 2 and 4 cycle, Deutz, International Harvester,Isuzu, Caterpillar, and Komatsu diesels.A 2 cycle is a animal of different stripes. A Detroit 2 cycles design suffers from late ignition timing so they tend to be more smokey(grey) than a 4 cycle. If the Detroits smoke is blue it could be the supercharger seals leaking into the cyls. A four cycle that continues to smoke after startup has some maintanance issues. Either a restricted induction or low turbo pressure or too rich a fuel setting on the fuel injector pump(rack).I suppose it could even have damaged or worn injector valves. Now that I think about it, these are Russian engines , so all bets are off. Or are they?:wink:

Comment

• Aug 2008

First boat I Qualified on was the TRUTTA. We had three Fairbanks-Morse, 2-cycle, opposed piston Main engines (The guppy 2A's gave up a Main, typically from the forward engine room). At start up, after rolling on air for a bit, then kicking in the fuel racks, black smoke would belch out the mufflers, almost immediately turning thick white, then quickly thinning out to a very light grayish smoke -- almost invisible at any significant distance from the diesel exhaust discharge (be it from a muffler or snorkel exhaust mast).

Remember, at start-up, often there is a lot of sea water in the external diesel exhaust piping and mufflers under the superstructure, so it takes a bit of time for that to be flashed to steam and purged from the system. A component of the 'smoke' is often salt-water derived steam -- very, very corrosive stuff!
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ManOwaR
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jul 2009

Speaking of corrosion, would it be reasonable to say that the cylinder heads are removed to have preservative applied in the nukes for for those long periods between use? If so, when first starting engines that have had this done will give some white smoke that turns to a few nice shades of orangish brown as the preservative burns off...

Joel
            https://www.facebook.com/HMKcreations

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I love those Fairbanks Morse engines. Fairbanks Morse made a line of diesel electric Locomotives using that engine. CMDR. **** O'kane of "Tang" fame affectionately referred to them as "rock crushers"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                I love those Fairbanks Morse engines. Fairbanks Morse made a line of diesel electric Locomotives using that engine. CMDR. **** O'kane of "Tang" fame affectionately referred to them as "rock crushers"
                Indeed! One of the Squadron 12 boats was out there operating with two cracked cylinder liners for a couple of weeks! Ran the Mains anyway! We eventually met them on the Lee side of Cuba and hi-lined them new parts -- they made the fix underway!

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• NavyICman
                  Lieutenant
                  • Jun 2010

I love my Supercharged Rock Crusher.....the Fairbanks Morse 8 and 1/8" opposed piston engine, 850 kw of power surf, 800 kw submerged. It will always be my favorite, listening to the roll of the engine on air starts, lying in my rack just forward of the engine when it was running, getting sprayed with "diesel juice" when standing topside. Diesel juice being seawater from the spray ring to keep the exhaust valve seats cool mixed with unburnt diesel fuel, good times....good times.

Joel, there is no preservative in the cylinders during the long periods, the preservative is in the diesel freshwater cooling system.

Now, the Cat on the Virginia class, enitirely different beast altogether. Twin turbo charged, that mutha screams like a banshee on startup, but is quiet as all hell, even in the same space. 1000 kw across the board, main difference in the two electrical wise is that the fairbanks engine can be over driven by the generator, and the Cat can overdrive the generator.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

So are you saying that the Fairbanks at 100% power can be stalled or choked down if the generator is set at max. output?

Comment

• ManOwaR
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by NavyICman

Now, the Cat on the Virginia class, enitirely different beast altogether. Twin turbo charged, that mutha screams like a banshee on startup, but is quiet as all hell, even in the same space. 1000 kw across the board, main difference in the two electrical wise is that the fairbanks engine can be over driven by the generator, and the Cat can overdrive the generator.
                      CAT 3508? 3412 maybe? CAn you say? lol
                      https://www.facebook.com/HMKcreations

Comment

• NavyICman
                        Lieutenant
                        • Jun 2010

I don't know what kind it is right now, but I will find out tomorrow. Kinda funny, I qualified to drive her as a Pilot, can tell you all about how to snorkel and what valves need to be operated, but I can't think of the diesel model right off the bat.....

Comment

• NavyICman
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by greenman407
                          So are you saying that the Fairbanks at 100% power can be stalled or choked down if the generator is set at max. output?
                          Pretty much if you exceed the max submerged rating on the generator while submerged, or surfaced rating on the surface. The generator paired with the engine has a higher overall rating than the engine can provide motive power for. The Cat is paired with a generator that does not exceed the motive capacity of the engine.

Comment

• NavyICman
                            Lieutenant
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ManOwaR
                            CAT 3508? 3412 maybe? CAn you say? lol
                            Model 3512B

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Dec 2009

On our ex tugboat, we had one 100KW genset (and a 30kw with a little 4cl Cat for normal ops) paired to a Detroit 6-71. Out of pure discussion over drinks I deduced that the engine could not possibly reach 100KW of electical power from its I think 220hp...I wnt no further than that bartop assumption! lol

As for the smoke, all mechanical injection diesels (older) produce nice amounts under rapid throttle up then clean up once they reach RPM. Our 12 cylinder Mercedes/MTU when underway you could see no smoke at all and it was putting out 1khp crusing. Now if i punched it would emit a nice belch untill the turbos caught up.
                              Last edited by Rpmtech1; 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...