THRESHER must see

Second Saturday: The Loss of the USS Thresher - YouTube

David
    Who is John Galt?
  • jphatton
    Lieutenant
    • Jan 2021

David,

Thanks for posting the link to the video, it gives a good overview of the available information on the loss of the USS Thresher.

The recently declassified court of enquiry documents (8 sets of documents) can be found at the following link;

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

I wish someone would do side side scan sonar run of the area and of the SCORPION site.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
        I wish someone would do side side scan sonar run of the area and of the SCORPION site.
        Why? They have photo-documented the two sites to a very high degree. Both sites have had light salvage (forensic studies) and radiation monitoring going on for decades. Why bother with side-scan imagery when you already have up-close-and-personal records?
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Why? They have photo-documented the two sites to a very high degree. Both sites have had light salvage (forensic studies) and radiation monitoring going on for decades. Why bother with side-scan imagery when you already have up-close-and-personal records?
          90% of the Ballard video hasn't been released, and what I've seen is horrible 3rd generation reproduction. I've seen the old photo's of both the SCORPION and THRESHER, but never any diagrams or drawings of the wreck sites. Modern video can shed light on something missed.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

USS-Thresher-1300.jpg (1300×1744) (scottbrowngraphics.com)

Comment

Working...