Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I managed to get the brass work finished on the top deck of the U-2540!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TYPE XXI BRASS 3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	162270

Name:	TYPE XXI BRASS 4.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	162271

I am really at odds with myself as to finish over the PE, or leave it in it's brass look? It seems to me that the brass work really needs to be painted over and part of the final finish. If you applied your final finish and then tried to apply the brass work you would surely screw up the final paint finish!

So I think I just answered my own question, and that is to apply the final finish over the brass PE!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Issues with the PLA 3D Printed Type XXI!

Name:	TYPE XXI HEAT 2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	162292Click image for larger version

Name:	TYPE XXI HEAT.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	162293

I f anyone is going to build the 3D printed version of the Type XXI and your plan was to also install the PE that you can purchase for this boat, my advice, do not do it with a PLA filament! We all understand what heat can do to PLA.

I did have some pieces of the PE installed using thin CA. I also have a window that lets in the hot afternoon sun in front of my work desk. I had finished up some work on the PE installation and walked away from the work leaving the boat next to the window. When I got up this AM I found that the PE was lifting off the boat (top deck) I found the boat had some very slight warp in the hull and the PE was lifting. I found that the PE was not moving with the hull structure!

It's my advice if you are going to build this boat and install the PE, that you use ABS or another filament that can withstand heat warpage, better than PLA.

Another lesson learned!:-((

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat" PLA CAN'T!!

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Bummer. Sorry to hear that Rob. It was progressing so nicely. PLA does well much of the time. It's that one time you let your guard down that it bites you unfortunately. ABS and ASA have their issues but I have been quite successful printing with them to the extent that I will not use anything else. A black ABS hull on a sunny day can still warp but it just doesn't behave the same way that PLA does.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
          Bummer. Sorry to hear that Rob. It was progressing so nicely. PLA does well much of the time. It's that one time you let your guard down that it bites you unfortunately. ABS and ASA have their issues but I have been quite successful printing with them to the extent that I will not use anything else. A black ABS hull on a sunny day can still warp but it just doesn't behave the same way that PLA does.
          Hi Steve,

Yes, another lesson learned for sure. It was interesting to see how the PE just pushed up from the movement of the hull. I looked down the hull and I could see that it did have a bow in it at about the center line. I really had no idea that the heat coming in through my window could do that. It was about 113 deg that afternoon and it lasted about 3 hours.

If I run my boats at all during the late spring and summer time, it's for only about 10 min at a time and then back into the house!

I may reprint the boat again and try to remove the PE from the old hull without damaging it, and try to re-install it on the new hull!

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"

NOTE: I have decided not to rebuild the Type XXI U-2540 at this time! Thanks to everyone for the help and input on this build! Moving on!
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-13-2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• cgbillb
            Lieutenant Commander
            • May 2018

Would you think about selling her?
            Bill
            Athens, Ga.

Comment

Working...