• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Dave's not here man.....

HWMNBN,

Too much Otto fuel in the punch back in the day, eh?

Then again I did ask you for a name I couldn't remember myself.

This past Saturday at the DT Zoom meet, I asked about the owner of a 1:48 Scale DeBoer 688 that had ran at Groton, and lived near you (at least back then), I was hoping to get info on the ballast tank size/location. Always better to not reinvent the wheel for myself.

Since all I could remember was this Grizzly Adam of a dude running a 688I at Groton, I went back to the old footage from the Groton Sub Regatta's starting at 2001 working backwards. Eventually I found him!

1997 to be exact. So we're talking tickling memory banks for data recorded 24 years ago. Can't blame you as I can't remember now what I had last night for dinner!

Dennis Allen, the stoagie smokin' former CO of the Elite Fleet in Hampton VA. w/his USS CHEYENNE SSN-773

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085559.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	147598

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085323.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	147599

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085657.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	147600

If I had to guess, it appears to be 5-6" OD piece of PVC (thin walled drain pipe), perhaps a foot long?

Seems to start under the Sail, and heads aft.

I do have a foot of 5" OD Lexan ($35), but may go with the 6" PVC thin wall drain pipe as I could just temporarily RTV a cap on one end to easily adjust length resizing to get the correct surface trim. The surface w/l in that area appears to be 6-1/2 inches so it's do-able. Shorter, fatter tank being preferred.

Thoughts...memories...flashbacks??

Hey, YOU'RE supposed to remember EVERYTHING!!

Is Dennis or the boat still around? Would like to ask him

Regardless, those were some fun times.

Nice legs too.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    HWMNBN,

Too much Otto fuel in the punch back in the day, eh?

Then again I did ask you for a name I couldn't remember myself.

This past Saturday at the DT Zoom meet, I asked about the owner of a 1:48 Scale DeBoer 688 that had ran at Groton, and lived near you (at least back then), I was hoping to get info on the ballast tank size/location. Always better to not reinvent the wheel for myself.

Since all I could remember was this Grizzly Adam of a dude running a 688I at Groton, I went back to the old footage from the Groton Sub Regatta's starting at 2001 working backwards. Eventually I found him!

1997 to be exact. So we're talking tickling memory banks for data recorded 24 years ago. Can't blame you as I can't remember now what I had last night for dinner!

Dennis Allen, the stoagie smokin' former CO of the Elite Fleet in Hampton VA. w/his USS CHEYENNE SSN-773

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085559.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	147598

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085323.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	147599

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-18 085657.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	147600

If I had to guess, it appears to be 5-6" OD piece of PVC (thin walled drain pipe), perhaps a foot long?

Seems to start under the Sail, and heads aft.

I do have a foot of 5" OD Lexan ($35), but may go with the 6" PVC thin wall drain pipe as I could just temporarily RTV a cap on one end to easily adjust length resizing to get the correct surface trim. The surface w/l in that area appears to be 6-1/2 inches so it's do-able. Shorter, fatter tank being preferred.

Thoughts...memories...flashbacks??

Hey, YOU'RE supposed to remember EVERYTHING!!

Is Dennis or the boat still around? Would like to ask him

Regardless, those were some fun times.

Nice legs too.
    Sorry about the brain-fart. Yeah! That was my old running mate, Dennis Allen. An excellent model builder -- he's also the ass-hole who dropped a perfect REAL depth charge pattern over one of my boats!
    https://youtu.be/k_je2ir54JQ (5:09)

Here's his e-mail, Ed. He's former Navy too. popeyesubs@yahoo.com

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

More video about his PT boat
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...