Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Moving right along! Good job. Can’t wait to see the results of your first splash tests. Keep the build updates coming.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
      Moving right along! Good job. Can’t wait to see the results of your first splash tests. Keep the build updates coming.
      Thank you sir! I sure will. Tomorrow will be the WTC test dip!!!

Rob
      "firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        Today I finished up all the wiring. Motor, servos, ballast pump, ESC, battery, and the magnetic switch! I am using Deans Plugs on the 7.4 Volt wiring coming from the 2 cell 35C 2200 mAh Li-poly battery that I am using!
        Rob, those cylinders are designed for 3S LiPos. Everything will still work, but the pump in particular has an in-line resistor to drop voltage from the expected 11.1 to 6V. The pump will still spin, but you may find that it's sluggish. If you're dead-set on the 2S battery, you can remove the resistor, or you can just get an 11.1V battery.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman

Rob, those cylinders are designed for 3S LiPos. Everything will still work, but the pump in particular has an in-line resistor to drop voltage from the expected 11.1 to 6V. The pump will still spin, but you may find that it's sluggish. If you're dead-set on the 2S battery, you can remove the resistor, or you can just get an 11.1V battery.

Bob
          Ok Bob! Thanks for the heads up on the pump situation and battery size. I have a 11.1 volt 3 cell 30c 4000 mAh that will fit!

I do have another question?

In the above photo, it shows the ballast system items that are not being used now that my boat will go direct as a snorkel system.

Can I just eliminate that system? That piece on top is leaking from the valve itself as well and the part with the two screws!

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Piccy no show, but with SNORT, you only need a hose going up to the surface and that's it. The snorkel valve and the safety valve are all superfluous.

SNORT is absolutely my preferred setup for virtually all boats. Stationary diving is for ballistic missile subs and research subs.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Piccy no show, but with SNORT, you only need a hose going up to the surface and that's it. The snorkel valve and the safety valve are all superfluous.

SNORT is absolutely my preferred setup for virtually all boats. Stationary diving is for ballistic missile subs and research subs.

Bob
              Here you go

Snort:

Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	147901

SAS:

Name:	059.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	147902
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Here you go

Snort:

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	147901

SAS:

Name:	059.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	147902
                David and Bob, Thank you for answering my question! I sure do like the simplicity of the snort system!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Making some progress on the "Hunley"

Name:	P3050006.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	148047

Getting ready to install the hatches, and the snorkel tube housing. I will put up some better photos and descriptions of my progress soon!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

I know this "HL Hunley' build has not been one of those so called dynamic builds, but I am here to say it is complete except for the final finish work!

Name:	P3070010.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	148089Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070009.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	148090

Name:	P3070008.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	148091Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070011.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	148092

Name:	P3070012.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	148093

Before anyone says anything about how I have fabricated this boat, please note it may not be true to scale in all aspects of the "EXACT" HL Hunley! If you go out and research this boat you will find a ton of different looks for this boat! I took it upon myself to build this boat so it would hold up during water operation and yet stay close to the original full scale form. You can see by the acrylic paints that I have on the desk it suggests it may not just be all flat black! I may give it a more rusty looking finish!? Not sure yet!

I will post up the final photos of the Hunley and the Housatonic together when finish is complete! Thank you for looking, and thank you for all the help and advice I got on this build!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Great work, Rob! Not sure if you've already been hit by the rivet-counters, but if so, tell them to pound sand. This is your boat. If you like it, that's the only thing that matters. I think it looks great.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Thanks Bob! I am finding out one thing for sure! Skill, knowledge, and patience is required for this hobby! I am gaining a lot of skill and knowledge, but I lack the patience it takes to do it right. I tend to get in a hurry to get the submarine I am working on done so that I can start the next one. I have built 10 in the water (Surface runners only, and stand off scale) submarines since I got into this hobby a year and half ago!! None of them are even close to the beautiful workmanship that I see from the group of guys on this forum!

"Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated" I see both perfection and excellence on this forum, and most of all I see the patience required to achieve both!

Rob
                        Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-07-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• coryhenry
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Great job finishing the project, cant wait to see the paint!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by coryhenry
                            Great job finishing the project, cant wait to see the paint!
                            Thank you!

Name:	72001-2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	148116

This is one of many color schemes that I have seen used on the Hunley! Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) has two you tube videos that show his color rendition of this boat which looks great! I thought I might add a little rust into the loop! Going to do some experimentation to see what I can come up with!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

OK! Well today the HL Hunley met the water for the first time!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL Hunley 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	148121

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL Hunley.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	148122

The boat looks great in the water. I did have to make a few adjustments with foam and weights to compensate for the weight of the torpedo structure. I am very happy with how it turned out, and now to the finish room. Ounce again I will try to put some of the videos that my wife took of the boat under power!

Rob
                              Attached Files

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Well done. Looks good and can't wait to see the video!
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...