X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

1/72 type ix build and performance

Interested in a review from any builders and captains on performance of the revel kit type 9
    Thank you
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Did a google search, I typed in " RC Conversion of Revell 1/72 Type IX U-boat". All I found were post by people wanting to build one and RC it but none after that.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• gantu
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0281.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	144518Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2263.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	144519Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2276.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	144520Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4195.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	144522Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4284 - Copy.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	144523Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4407.JPG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	144524Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4493.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	144525Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4314.JPG
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	144526Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4571.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	144527Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4576 - Copy.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	144528Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4651.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	144529Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4666 - Copy.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	144530Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4672.JPG
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	144531Click image for larger version

Views:	335
ID:	144534Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8855.JPG
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	144533Click image for larger version

Views:	315
ID:	144535
        Attached Files
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Is that R.C conversion kit still available from HWSNBN through Bob`s site?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

The only fittings kit available right now is the Skipjack. We have masters and tooling for more, but it’s all about priorities.

Get a group together for a MOQ and we can juggle resources. There’s lots of talk about how people would buy if the kits were there, but few buck up when it’s time to buy.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Absolutely outstanding work David!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                The only fittings kit available right now is the Skipjack. We have masters and tooling for more, but it’s all about priorities.

Get a group together for a MOQ and we can juggle resources. There’s lots of talk about how people would buy if the kits were there, but few buck up when it’s time to buy.
                If I may put in my two cents as to Bob's observation above.

It used to be that I would develop a product based on the stated wants of prospective customers. I would spend countless hours researching, master making, tool making, part fabrication, packaging and sales. And what was my reward? Cricket sounds!!!! And if there was any noise out there at all it was the wail of *****-whining articulating the displeasure of those stating that my work was over-priced.

Screw you guys!

But soon, the Krell machine will poop out any physical thing you can imagine; you, nor anyone else, will have to lift a finger to produce a product. Once AI interfaces with your brain (check out the recent Elon Musk work in that area), and the printers and grinders become more capable, you dreamers and no-talent bums will be all set.

Things in this country started the downward slide the moment public schools dropped shop-class and replaced it with female-studies and black history month (every frig'n month of the school year!!!!). Touchy-feeling has replaced resilience, critical thinking, and manual dexterity.

Rotsa Ruck!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

If I may put in my two cents as to Bob's observation above.

It used to be that I would develop a product based on the stated wants of prospective customers. I would spend countless hours researching, master making, tool making, part fabrication, packaging and sales. And what was my reward? Cricket sounds!!!! And if there was any noise out there at all it was the wail of *****-whining articulating the displeasure of those stating that my work was over-priced.

Screw you guys!

But soon, the Krell machine will poop out any physical thing you can imagine; you, nor anyone else, will have to lift a finger to produce a product. Once AI interfaces with your brain (check out the recent Elon Musk work in that area), and the printers and grinders become more capable, you dreamers and no-talent bums will be all set.

Things in this country started the downward slide the moment public schools dropped shop-class and replaced it with female-studies and black history month (every frig'n month of the school year!!!!). Touchy-feeling has replaced resilience, critical thinking, and manual dexterity.

Rotsa Ruck!

David
                  What you just explained is exactly what I went through producing high end live steam engines for model boats more than a decade ago. Millions of hours of design work, machining, welding, painting, packaging and time spent answering emails and phone calls. Had the most advanced equipment and tools in a clean and organized commercial shop to produce the best product possible. Sold Quite a few around the world and was well know but I always ran into people who thought the products were over priced compared to the lower end crap that was cheaply available elsewhere. So I wrapped it up and used the same equipment and talent to make parts for labs and other high tech companies and made 5x more money for less time spent.

Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The same steam plants I produced more than a decade ago, now go for 3x the amount on EBay when they do pop up.

I’ll never go back into the business of making niche products for the hobby industry. I’ve already been there done that. I’ll stick to designing and making stuff for myself.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Here’s a link to a guy selling one of my old steam plants for twice as much as what I offered them for years ago. This one is one of the simpler lower end models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sparrow...-/293719809424

Anyway I don’t want to hijack this thread. The type ix would be a fun model to build. Especially if a builder had such a well thought out fittings kit to start with like the one David developed. As David and Bob have pointed out, it only makes sense to produce if enough preorders are lined up.

Nick
                    Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 10-20-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2009

I have Dave's conversion kit but I have yet too build the boat ,
                      I am interested in general preformance diving , turning I hate too build a boat and not enjoy sailing her
                      I am more of an atomic era / sci-fi type with less fiddley breakable bits and pieces like railings and guns , I love the detail eye candy of the by gone era boats maybe a guppy class is more suited too my 80 grit rattle can finish nature.

Comment

• george
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2010

Anyone care to start a R.C Conversion Kit wish list for the Revel Type IX 1/72?
                        Put me down for One Set

Comment

Working...