X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

Vex TX crystal adapter

Last year my buddy ask me why he could not use his other reg 75mhz crystals on his Vex transmitter as he wanted to have more feq's to use. So I took the vex plastic crystal case apart and made a quick and dirty adapter with the parts I had on hand. We wanted to see if the reg crystals would work. Yes they do. Please note this was just a prototype. We made a better one later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1616.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	143758
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1622.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	143757
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1627.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	143756
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

That's a great project, would make a good 3d print. Any interest in modeling it?

Comment

• Sinksalot
      Commander
      • Mar 2020

I don't have the final one with me as my friend has it and uses it. This is what I did for the final version. For the final version I bought some crystal sockets and cut the rear of the case. You see in the picture I use a pencil to show you were I cut the hole to allow the crystal to slide in thru the back. The other pictures show how the Crystal socket is in the inside of the case. I glued the socket down in the case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	143781

Name:	IMG_2154.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	143779

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	143778

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	143780

Comment

• Sinksalot
        Commander
        • Mar 2020

One of the main problems my friend had, was when he went to sub events big and small is that people with Vex radios really only have 4 channels to work with. Yes Vex did come out with 4 more channels, but you rarely can find them for sale. When people go to sub Events and more then 4 people have Vex radios, you may have to wait to get your boat in the water. With this you can buy more Crystals on ebay on channels Vex does not offer so more subs can be in the water at the same time. Please note I only made this for my friend as he nagged me about it. I do have 3 new Vex radios, but those are back ups if all my Futaba radios die all at the same time.

Comment

• Steadybubble
          Ensign
          • Oct 2020

Anyone do a schematic of the VEX transmitter board yet?
          I'd hate to put the effort in and one already exists that can be shared.
          Steadybubble

Comment

• cheapsub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Dec 2019

Open up the "Futaba" , No, not the same in the button wiring.

Finally sat down to make one.
            got 8 more crystal sockets, anyone need one?
            Want to make a V 2.0 synthesized.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cheapsub; 06-20-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• cheapsub
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Dec 2019

No user serviceable parts.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...