X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

never forget

It's 9-11.

This is about Kevin Rimrodt. My friend, and fellow r/c model builder.

Behind his back I sometimes call him, 'The Sphinx'. This guy don't talk much, and when he does, its short, blunt, and too the point – devoid of all artificial sweetening! I like that in a man.

When those ass-hole Saudi's caused that passenger plane to take out the outer rings of the Pentagon building, Kevin was working as a Photographer's Mate. He was stationed in that big building atop the hill overlooking the entrance side of the Pentagon. Responding, as so many others did, Kevin rushed down, on foot (it was that close) to assist. Long story short: Kevin was dragooned by an FBI guy who directed Kevin to grab his still camera and hustle back for an assignment. He immediately got to work.

For two weeks straight Kevin and other military and DOD photographers clawed through the Pentagon building documenting bodies and wreckage – information needed for later forensic and event reconstruction. Kevin was one of the few who could stand the never ending maze of unsafe footing, falling debris, and smell of burned flesh and smashed intestines; the collective horror of a once orderly workplace turned into a slice of hell.

Not a movie. Not an 'action' video game. Not a cop show where everything is tied into a resolved happy-ending after an hours viewing. Kevin Rimrodt willingly crawled through hell till his job was completed!

I know this **** only because I pulled it out of him recently at his kitchen table. I was there to help him move some of his gear from a storage facility to his new work-shop.

Kevin keeps his own counsel – you will never see this guy crying in his beer or putting his heroism on public display.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with model building. But it has a lot to do with a fellow model builder who I respect and am pleased to call, friend!

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM.
    Who is John Galt?
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    It's 9-11.

This is about Kevin Rimrodt. My friend, and fellow r/c model builder.

Behind his back I sometimes call him, 'The Sphinx'. This guy don't talk much, and when he does, its short, blunt, and too the point – devoid of all artificial sweetening! I like that in a man.

When those ass-hole Saudi's caused that passenger plane to take out the outer rings of the Pentagon building, Kevin was working as a Photographer's Mate. He was stationed in that big building atop the hill overlooking the entrance side of the Pentagon. Responding, as so many others did, Kevin rushed down, on foot (it was that close) to assist. Long story short: Kevin was dragooned by an FBI guy who directed Kevin to grab his still camera and hustle back for an assignment. He immediately got to work.

For two weeks straight Kevin and other military and DOD photographers clawed through the Pentagon building documenting bodies and wreckage – information needed for later forensic and event reconstruction. Kevin was one of the few who could stand the never ending maze of unsafe footing, falling debris, and smell of burned flesh and smashed intestines; the collective horror of a once orderly workplace turned into a slice of hell.

Not a movie. Not an 'action' video game. Not a cop show where everything is tied into a resolved happy-ending after an hours viewing. Kevin Rimrodt willingly crawled through hell till his job was completed!

I know this **** only because I pulled it out of him recently at his kitchen table. I was there to help him move some of his gear from a storage facility to his new work-shop.

Kevin keeps his own counsel – you will never see this guy crying in his beer or putting his heroism on public display.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with model building. But it has a lot to do with a fellow model builder who I respect and am pleased to call, friend!

David
    Very well stated David!

God bless all those FIRST RESPONDERS! God bless MY BROTHERS!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...