Airbrush: Comments (many expected) desired.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Airbrush: Comments (many expected) desired.

Past due to reload my arsenal with a decent airbrush, so I'm looking for comments, suggestions and "don't be stupid!"

Years ago I made due with the bottom line Badger single action, the one with a glass jar underneath. Did the job for the basic stuff I needed.

It's long gone.

Now that I plan to expand my detailing on several of my boats as well as detail work on static builds (a variety of real and scifi ships, etc).

Bob, I thought you offered an Airbrush previously but I guess you sold out and no longer continue to do so

Not having much to go on I "YouTubed" it and found this guy:

Airbrushing Miniatures - A Beginners Guide

Not that I'm doing "miniatures", at least in the foreseeable future. But thought he gave a well enough rounded video for the beginner.

So I'm asking the experts here (and you KNOW who you are....cough cough Bob....cough cough...loogie clear...Dave....) as to whether or not I'm overdoing it regarding what I'm told is a mid-tier brush.

Airbrush Sparmax Max-3 MAX3 0.3mm Nozzle 7ml Gravity Cup, Double Action + Bonus by SprayGunner

I will no longer use airbrush propellant for anything other than surfacing my boat, so an air compressor is a given.

Timbertech Basic Airbrush Compressor, Professional Mini Airbrush Compressor AS-186, with Automatic Stop for Airbrush Painting, Makeup, Nail and Tattoo Studios, Hobby

It's not the $$ that concern me as much as the long term usage for a variety of uses. With the understanding there's no such thing a a silver bullet.
    Ease of use and longevity are always my primary goal over saving $$ (true value). After I end up on Eternal Patrol, Valhalla, 9th Level of Hell or wherever....giving it to "Sub" Eddie or it ending up at an Estate Sale for Bob to pilfer and sell back to you swab's is the goal.

Fire away

Thanks!!

Last edited by QuarterMaster; 06-12-2020, 02:06 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Again as some of you know I have a 12' X 12' room in my home that is my work shop. So a small compressor with tank, plus the paint booths (for water based paints) will work for me. I really purchased this system for doing the smaller type subs and especially the 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus. I purchase the Paasche (on David M's input) air brush, but I went with the double action over the single.

Rob Taylor

"Firemen can stand the heat"
    These are among the future project outside of RC Sub's,. My subject matter is "Real or imaginary, if it carried people and either, dove, floated, flew, whether sub light or FTL,, I like it!"

I dig water based paints myself. I have to remember the "spray booth Idea" for the indoor detail work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171225_114415886.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	140554

Definitely will need versatility.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it!
    Attached Files
    v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	91Ihqw7JUGL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	140559 Ed-I was going to send a picture but it looks like everyone else did-Yes...that Paasche is the exact one that I have been using for 30+ years. Like I said I used to paint a lot of catalyzed paints(MEK cleanup)..It is easy to clean and will do a fairly large or very small pattern. And at $44 you cant beat it... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=paasche+a...nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

I don't know what the dif is between David's link and this one but they appear to have the same stuff...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

The common thread here is Paasche, and I take ALL of you very seriously.

No single star reviews.

If Dave can do the fine work he does with his, especially his famed "oil canning" effect......

I'm in

From what I read, Bob's choice had a 1/16" to 1-1/2" Spray pattern, Dave's pick shows 1/32" to 1-1/2" was Though like Rob said, I'm going to go "double Action" as well. $18USD more than Dave's.

I believe it's the Millennium

Paasche Airbrush Paasche MIL-Set Double Action Siphon Feed Airbrush

Got that Air Compressor too.

Anything else...paint, cleaners accessories, etc I'll pick up local to refrain from paying Amazons built in shipping cost.

Thanks guy's!

Now, turn my brain back 2 or so decades!!
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

David's right..Its gotta be easy to clean and not have too many seals to rot..
          Oh and Ed..Regarding a compressor-I use the spare tire in my car and my spray booth is a furnace filter and a box fan!!
          Would we STEER the QuarterMaster wrong?
          Last edited by Bob Gato; 06-13-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Working...