X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Where to next

I have a question? I am looking to step out with a MORE RTR (ready to run) full static dive Submarine build. I have been looking at the those dive systems that are produced by Arkmodels, Engle, and of course those from Nautilus Drydocks. I want a better hull material that is more suitable to handle the environment (water, heat conditions) than 3D printing has to offer. I am also wondering if there might be a more simple to set up running system (mainly the diving aspect of boat operation)

Nautilus Drydocks specialize in the WTC Sub-Driver, and Modular-Sub-Driver (wet hull) systems. Arkmodels and Engle offer the Piston Tank (dry hull) systems. It seems there boat kits are very well made and come fairly complete depending on the Sub type.

All three seem to be priced very close to the same, depending on the accessories you want.

I do very well building a the Sub boat itself, and doing all the finish work required. I understand the electronics and radio system operations. My hardest part is in the ballast system itself (WHAT MAKES IT DIVE) I guess I am looking for something you just drop into the hull, hook up the control linkage, plug in the battery and go dive! (a custom build is out of the question for me $$$) I just know I will get slammed down on this, but along with that some friendly advice would be appreciated!

Thank you guys!!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I thought you have a Sub Driver already?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

subculture,

You are correct! And actually I also have a complete Mobius Skipjack kit (not started) and a Nautilus Drydocks 3.5" SD matched up to that boat. And yes I also have the 2.5" SD that David Merriman gave to me! Now I know what you are going to say! Why don't I build the Skipjack or purchase a kit around the 2.5" SD! Well I guess I would just like to get a full operational boat in the water while I am working on another boat.

That may not make any sense to anyone! But I am still learning about these ballast systems, and while I am doing that I would just like a boat I can take out into the pool, drop it in the water and have it fully operational while I am working on other boats. At this point in time for me (AND TIME) is an issue for me, I would just like to have an operational boat to enjoy!

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I'd work with what you have- you won't save much time. Engel are the only company I know that currently do close to RTR boats with their 212 and Akula II models, but I think they're out of stock on those. A secondhand purchase is another way, but you can end up with a lot of trouble if you're not careful.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I totally understand what you are saying. I guess I could come to you guys when it comes time to set up the ballast portion of the build! That is where I totally lack the smarts to make these boats work! And I just thought getting one in the water (operational) could help me understand better the function of these ballast systems.Yes! Buying someone else's boat would not be a good way to go unless you knew the builder!

Thank you subculture, I appreciate your input!

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            I totally understand what you are saying. I guess I could come to you guys when it comes time to set up the ballast portion of the build! That is where I totally lack the smarts to make these boats work! And I just thought getting one in the water (operational) could help me understand better the function of these ballast systems.Yes! Buying someone else's boat would not be a good way to go unless you knew the builder!

Thank you subculture, I appreciate your input!

Rob

With what's on hand now you are much closer to grasping the in's and out's of the ballast sub-system than you realize, Rob. Go with what you got. It would take nothing to turn that boat you have in the water now into a dynamic diver.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Thanks David. I do understand what you are saying. I may spend a little more time and make that happen with the Astute. In the meantime I think it's time to start the Skipjack! I have the kit, and I purchased the SD for that boat from Bob about a year ago. Now that I have finished up my two 3D printed boats I can move to a new project.

Rob

Comment

Working...