Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Bob! Is George referring to a 3D printable Typhoon?

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

George,

Depending on how the files for Typhoon turn out, the final scale will be flexible until we lock it in. Likely 1:144. Any larger and it would take weeks to print out. Of course, with 3D printing you can just scale to whatever you want, provided wall thickness doesn't get to thin when scaling down.

Rob, yes... working on a Typhoon!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
        George,

Depending on how the files for Typhoon turn out, the final scale will be flexible until we lock it in. Likely 1:144. Any larger and it would take weeks to print out. Of course, with 3D printing you can just scale to whatever you want, provided wall thickness doesn't get to thin when scaling down.

Bob
        OH NO! G** help me!!!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SubHuman
          George,

Bob
          Typhoon.....(.said with Anime eyes and a voice of a child) - Oh my I know what is next on my list! Thank you Bob!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• scubaed1911
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2019

Bob, regarding the Natiilus, do you anticipate any problems using only forward active dive planes? Given the length of the hull, seems it may present less efficiency by "pulling" rather than "pushing" the boat to dive and rise.
            Last edited by scubaed1911; 05-12-2020, 01:58 PM.
            If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              • Aug 2009

I've seen boats set up to use only the forward planes, and actually, my LXG Nautilus will be set up that way. Obviously it is not as ideal as using both sets, but I can't see any issues. One that could pop up, however, is the fact that 571 Nautilus' planes only extended to 30 degrees from horizontal, so you are effectively getting only a portion of the surface area doing the force exertion on the boat. The aft planes are far better situated to control the sub, especially mounted aft of the props as they are.

Why wouldn't you set up the rear planes, out of curiosity?

Bob

Comment

• scubaed1911
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jul 2019

Sorry Bob...I should have referred to the "Sword of the Sea" Nautilus! I recall from your video that due to limited engineering space in aft section, the rear planes may remain static. Thanks for the explanation Bob!
                Last edited by scubaed1911; 05-14-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Bob,
                  I do not know what you are up against on the aft planes, but I was thinking. Use magnets for making the travel work - this can be made very thin or the pushrod can be made into many shapes.
                  Let me put up a crayon drawing and then explain:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic control.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	139233

Each plane would have a horn attached to the shaft. On that horn is a magnet. The pushrod would have one length of magnet travel through a brass sheet. This way the pushrod would go in one way and held between the plane magnets.
                  Might work.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    • Aug 2009

Thanks for the drawing! I actually like the idea of the magnetic connectors.

The issue, however, is not the tight confines of the rear section. There is actually ample room back there for linkages. The issue is that the dive planes are situated just above an outflaring hull contour. Imagine the Nautilus' cross section looking like a pear. Well, the dive planes are situated where the top transitions to the bottom. The shaft is in the middle of the planes, so if the plane tilts forward or back, the edge hits the lower hull after only a few degrees of deflection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Capture 010 - (18) RC Nautilus Project Start - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - _ - www.youtube.com.png
Views:	377
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	139255

I could cut the plane and have only the outermost part pivot, but that wouldn't be true to the design, and would offer significantly less control than the full plane would.

I'm confident that the forward planes will be large enough to offer good control over pitch. The rear planes will help provide stability when under way.

(Sorry for the tiny pic... I'm working from a tablet while I'm up here in Canada, and it's only uploading a thumbnail for some crazy reason). You can see what I'm talking about though...)

Bob
                    Last edited by RCSubGuy; 05-15-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Scott T
                      Commander
                      • May 2009

Tom you may be onto something there with magnets attaching the stern dive planes and rudder. You might be able to eliminate the grub screws and z- bends. And if someone bumps the rudder / dive planes the would give instead of bend or break.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Bob,
                        What about cutting the planes leaving the portion closest to the sub fixed (and therefore not interfering with the hull) and the exterior portion move? I may be beating a dead horse, but it has my mind thinking.....always good when I can get a few gears in my noggin working.
                        Peace,
                        Tom

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Scott T
                          Tom you may be onto something there with magnets attaching the stern dive planes and rudder. You might be able to eliminate the grub screws and z- bends. And if someone bumps the rudder / dive planes the would give instead of bend or break.
                          Scott, the only disadvantage is magnets are easier to slide apart versus pulled apart. Os some experimenting would be required.

Peace,
                          Tom

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by trout
                            Bob,
                            What about cutting the planes leaving the portion closest to the sub fixed (and therefore not interfering with the hull) and the exterior portion move? I may be beating a dead horse, but it has my mind thinking.....always good when I can get a few gears in my noggin working.
                            Peace,
                            Tom
                            Yeah, I mentioned that in my reply. Certainly doable, but my Spidey-senses say that I'll get good response from the bow planes... enough that the stern planes won't be needed. If it is a brick during sea trials, I can always yank the rear planes and do the cut version. I'll install a dedicated servo for that, just in case.

Bob

Comment

• scubaed1911
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by trout

Scott, the only disadvantage is magnets are easier to slide apart versus pulled apart. Os some experimenting would be required.

Peace,
                              Tom
                              Tom,

What if one magnet sat inside a cup with a raised edge to prevent slippage of the other magnet?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Sure that could be done too.

Comment

Working...