X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

Weekly chat room

Back in the day Dave Meriman used to have a weekly chat room over at D&E miniatures I kind of miss that and only got a taste of it today during one of Bob's RC sub guy episodes is it possible to host a chat on this site weekly or do you need a monitor so nobody offends anybody uses anything that's not PC blah blah blah and all of that open to only members as a safe gaurd thus waiving you rights too sense of proper PC tolerance and create a safe space for all ........ (pussys) just a friendly chin wag live on line we can all touch or screens as a point of contact and help heal the world.......?
    Last edited by Rick Teskey; 03-22-2020, 12:21 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

****ing Canadians!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

I had the kind of childhood that led to...

Not feeling loved if I'm not offended.

On a real response to Rick, I'm betting that the future is coming.

"Sub" Ed
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Stephen Vick
        Lieutenant
        • Nov 2018

I'm stuck at home doing Zoom sessions with my students twice a day. I think a bit of adult talk , even some Navy style abuse, would be welcome I haven't been out other than a quick grocery run, in two weeks!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

I assume you're talking about a chat room style. I think that works well for a few people, but if we had, say, 20 people in there, it would be chaos.

I kind of like the idea of regularly scheduled video chat, though. We could focus on one topic, run seminars, get SME's (Subject Matter Experts) to host. Rather than typing in questions like on my Youtube Live broadcasts, attendees could "raise their hand" and then the moderator could unmute them for true talk.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
            I assume you're talking about a chat room style. I think that works well for a few people, but if we had, say, 20 people in there, it would be chaos.

I kind of like the idea of regularly scheduled video chat, though. We could focus on one topic, run seminars, get SME's (Subject Matter Experts) to host. Rather than typing in questions like on my Youtube Live broadcasts, attendees could "raise their hand" and then the moderator could unmute them for true talk.
            Agreed. It only takes one or two ass-holes/idiots/mothers-little-helpers to de-rail a type-in type chat -- other than learning you instead spend all your time responding, ignoring, blocking, or *****ing to the moderator. Yeah, keep the car keys in the hands of the moderator; you want to drive, you ask permission of the moderator. Anything else is an invitation to anarchy.

Take this from an old, born and bred, Anarchist!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

With at least six English speaking forums devoted to the hobby, plus numerous pages on/groups on Facebook etc. I'd have thought it was enough?

Wasn't it the chat group that started the beginning of the end of Sub Pirates (I know the forum is still live, but it's a dead man walking these days). Perhaps too much duff beer and loose lips on a Saturday night?

I've always felt what was lacking was opportunities to meet and sail face to face. That was my motivation when I started the Dive-ins years ago- to try and get meetings in close to ideal venues (swimming pools) in a reasonable radius to where I live in London.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                • Aug 2009

I agree, Andy. One of the challenges that we face is the low number of RC submariners and the dispersion across such a large area.

I have a list of around 3000 people that have either bought from me or made inquiries over the last few years. Most have addresses. I think if we can get permission from these individuals, I could potentially start grouping by proximity to one another. Perhaps local sub runs might crop up as a result?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2009

How about we get 3000 names on a petition for the fcc too reallocate 72 too the surface as well as most new flyers , planes ,drones and cars etc have made use of easy too get 2.4 thay opens up a whole boat load of radios for us sub humans!
                  Last edited by Rick Teskey; 04-01-2020, 02:22 PM. Reason: Auto correct robot speller skynet

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    • Aug 2009

To be honest, guys, I feel that this is a wasted effort. Yes, we'd get a few more old radios that we could use, but NO ONE is making new ones on the lower frequency bands. We need to think long-term here. I don't want to try to entice new builders and tell them to get their radios off of eBay...

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SubHuman
                      I agree, Andy. One of the challenges that we face is the low number of RC submariners and the dispersion across such a large area.

I have a list of around 3000 people that have either bought from me or made inquiries over the last few years. Most have addresses. I think if we can get permission from these individuals, I could potentially start grouping by proximity to one another. Perhaps local sub runs might crop up as a result?
                      That would be a good idea. One of the things I asked for on more than one occasion when a chapter leader at the SC was a current membership list, as there hadn't been one published for several years. A simple excel file or text document would have been more than sufficient. It may not have lead to much, as we had so few UK based members, but every little helps.

I've always felt that if you want to build a team you have to know who your players are, and where their strengths and weaknesses lie. The whole benefit of a club or organisation should be that the sum of the parts enables achievements that would be unlikely or impossible by individuals working in isolation.

With regards to the radio frequencies, some similar enquiries were made with regard to the exclusively aero 35mhz here in the UK, the equivalent of the US 72mhz. the answer was simply no.

I think efforts would be better spent on getting an approved module and receiver design in a legal band suitable for use in the excellent modern sets using the Open TX firmware (Frsky, Jumper , Turnigy etc.).

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2009

Sorry for wasting valuable space on this .

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Rick,

It's certainly not wasted space. New ideas are what we need, and the fact that you're contributing rather than lurking in the shadows is very much appreciated.

The problem with our radios is going to be a big one, and there is no easy solution...

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Must be about ten years or so since the majority of lower frequency sets went out of production. It was about that time you could pick up stuff new for peanuts as the suppliers sought to shift all their old stock.

It's a hard sell persuading people to enter this hobby if they have to go tracking down a secondhand set, as if it didn't face enough challenges already. The other issue is that many electronic parts age. Most RC sets contain electrolytic capacitors- they dry out and drift, and can take out other components. So eventually sets will start to expire if they're not serviced.

Comment

Working...