• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Question to HWSNBN Pressure Pot VS Vacuum Pot

Hello Sir

I was wondering IF one could use the one pot for Vacuum use then later use the same pot in pressure mode for casting resin use?
    If it can be done, is there different plumbing /gauges that need to be used for each setup?
    If so could you show some pictures and details please.

Thanks
    George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello Sir

I was wondering IF one could use the one pot for Vacuum use then later use the same pot in pressure mode for casting resin use?
    If it can be done, is there different plumbing /gauges that need to be used for each setup?
    If so could you show some pictures and details please.

Thanks
    George
    Yes you can. Only difference is attachment of a three-way ball-valve (vacuum-shut-pressure) atop the pots lid. Your vacuum source is a volume tank previously evacuated.

You place the filled tool into the pot and button it up; put the valve to the 'vacuum' position and wait a minute; put the valve to the 'pressure' position and leave for about twenty-minutes; shut the valve; vent the pot and open it up.

Problem is you have to design the tool with a 'frothing trough'. If you don't you wind up coating the interior of the pot with resin splatter.

Today I either vacuum or pressure cast, and if I need to employ both methods I transfer the work from the vacuum table to the pot -- like a NASCAR pit crew, you gotta be fast!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Thank You for the reply. I have a line on a 5gal pressaure paint pot and a vacuum pump that needs some work, it has no gauge or plumbing fixtures.

For vacuum use, the plumbing is it different from regular water use plumbing/fixtures etc.?

George

Also
      SORRY have another question for you.

I see you make your own lead weights for submarine balancing. I just found a source of lead to cast my own weights for my sub and boat needs. Could you tell me what size/weight your cast lead pieces are? Not sure how to make a proper mold to make my own little flat weights. What is the size of the mold cavity, is it done like a resin pour part you make in the pressure pot OR open mold laying flat and molten material poured into it and done.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank You for the reply. I have a line on a 5gal pressaure paint pot and a vacuum pump that needs some work, it has no gauge or plumbing fixtures.

For vacuum use, the plumbing is it different from regular water use plumbing/fixtures etc.?

George

Also
        SORRY have another question for you.

I see you make your own lead weights for submarine balancing. I just found a source of lead to cast my own weights for my sub and boat needs. Could you tell me what size/weight your cast lead pieces are? Not sure how to make a proper mold to make my own little flat weights. What is the size of the mold cavity, is it done like a resin pour part you make in the pressure pot OR open mold laying flat and molten material poured into it and done.
        Nope. Only consideration is if its flexible hose, it has to be of the 'non-collapsible' type between vacuum pump and volume tank and between volume tank and three-way valve. Other than that, any conduit that can take at least 30 psig is fine.

The same TC-5050 rubber I use for most of my resin and GRP tooling is suitable for casting lead weights.

Nothing to it. Suggestion: don't ware flip-flops when you pour molten metal. Guess how I learned that?!...

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Ouch!!!! Thank You. So for the valves etc just use regular plumbing valves nothing special?
          Thanks again
          George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ouch!!!! Thank You. So for the valves etc just use regular plumbing valves nothing special?
            Thanks again
            George
            Nothing special.

Spacemen are pussies -- they see only a one bar differential. Diver's see multiple bars of differential. Nothing mysterious about a vacuum, it's only 14.5 psig in the other direction. No big whoop.

Now, if you're talking about an O2 rich atmosphere, that's a different ball game entirely! Guys fry when so saturated, but that's not our problem.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Ah Thank You for the lessons.

Comment

Working...