today's work

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveNeill
    replied
    Oh boy. Here we go again. David? What was that you said about doing things without electricity?

I mean this is all fine as long as you can distinguish the difference in talents(and I'm being nice here) and keep them separate. That is to say, a craftsman that has built a model by hand should not have to compete or be compared in the same arena to a modeler who got a file, loaded it into his printer and pushed print.

I have heard it a thousand times. You still have to sand a fill and prep. But not if you have a resin printer. They print as smooth as glass. Basically after a bit of work on the computer you have a plastic model kit to assemble.

It's all skill level, creative talent, and having craftsman skills. As an example, you don't compete with an artist who hand painted on canvas against an AI assisted painting guided by a human who didn't have the skill to paint in the first place.​

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by vital.spark
    That's the man! He builds with his hands not by just pushing keys!!
    There is no one on this forum that respects the master craftsman's old methods of building anything let alone submarines. There is also no doubt in my mind that David M. and others that still prefer to use these methods are the best at what they do, and I do have a great deal of respect for these craftsman!

But there are those of us that have chosen to step out of the box and use the new TechKnowledge's (CAD Design, 3D Printing) that is available to us to learn and achieve some remarkable submarine builds. There is a learning curve to using this new TechKnowledge and it is just not by pushing keys!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• vital.spark
    replied
    That's the man! He builds with his hands not by just pushing keys!!

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Going through my files I found this old gem:

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-25-2023, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by SSBN659
    Taking us to school, thanks David.

Will Rogers
    SSB659
    Automotive fillers, putties, primers and paints are our friends!

Just passing on what I learned from others.

David

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Taking us to school, thanks David.

Will Rogers
    SSB659

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by george
    The drill bit pictured in post #1688, is it the size of the O-ring? Was there any mod done to the drill bit before using it?
    To render a non-interference fit to the raw castings .062" bore -- created by the brass rod core during the casting operation -- it is hand reamed with a standard (non-modified) .065" bit.

The two encapsulated O-rings, within the seal body, have a nominal .060" inside diameter, but those surfaces (being much more elastic than the surrounding resin) scoot out of the way when reaming with the over-size bit. This leaves the resin bore enlarged enough to easily pass the pushrod, with the O-rings projecting into the bore enough to girdle and make watertight the fit between pushrod and seal body.

David

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    The drill bit pictured in post #1688, is it the size of the O-ring? Was there any mod done to the drill bit before using it?

Leave a comment:

Working...