Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Ya knowwwwww. We don't need the DT meetings. Everything you need to learn and know is right here in the over 2,000 posts from David. Although it's nice to BS and actually talk to people once in a while.
    I regard my occasional still picture dump to the site useful, but the real teaching opportunities are the many excellently presented, and information rich videos produced by Bob Martin -- that's where the 'hands-on' tips and tricks are best illustrated in my not so humble opinion.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Ya knowwwwww. We don't need the DT meetings. Everything you need to learn and know is right here in the over 2,000 posts from David. Although it's nice to BS and actually talk to people once in a while.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by bwi 971

Fantastic that you provided the letters in way of the securing & lashing point hatches.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Yes. A happy occurrence that the number 3 on the Woodland Scenic dry-transfer set #747 was the size and shape of the Russian submarine latch identification marking. Fortun smiled in this situation.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Fantastic that you provided the letters in way of the securing & lashing point hatches.

Grtz,
    Bart

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-21-2024, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

David,

I know that I have stated this before! But your skills for applying your authentic paint schemes and weathering to your boats is masterful. I have at one time suffered your painful thoughts of what I have done on most of my boats. (a rattle can jockey, and just out of drydock schemes)

You have laterally shamed me into wanting to do better in the area of more authentic paint schemes and learn to do weathering. And so, I think my German 212 A boat will be a good starting point.

Thank you very much for all the great work that you do and posting it up. You are a real inspiration for us ALL to follow!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    When you start smearing things on that model of yours and get hung up on something, don't hesitate to give me a shout. I'll be merciful... I'll use the sharp knife; you won't feel a thing, pal. Welcome to the big-league.

David
    The Horrible

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    D.M. I hate you.

Well not really.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    D.M. I hate you.

Well not really.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

David,

I know that I have stated this before! But your skills for applying your authentic paint schemes and weathering to your boats is masterful. I have at one time suffered your painful thoughts of what I have done on most of my boats. (a rattle can jockey, and just out of drydock schemes)

You have laterally shamed me into wanting to do better in the area of more authentic paint schemes and learn to do weathering. And so, I think my German 212 A boat will be a good starting point.

Thank you very much for all the great work that you do and posting it up. You are a real inspiration for us ALL to follow!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-20-2024, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    Can you polish RubnBuf? I use wax based metal colors (https://ak-interactive.com/product-c...-metal-paints/) that are very nice, that can be polished, but which can be partially rubbed off, even when applied on primer.
    Yes, they can be polished to a nice sheen. But, as you pointed out, are also subject to abrading away if polished too aggressively. In this case I put the Rub n' Buff on neat as it will later be weathered to match the mung seen on the lower hull.

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Can you polish RubnBuf? I use wax based metal colors (https://ak-interactive.com/product-c...-metal-paints/) that are very nice, that can be polished, but which can be partially rubbed off, even when applied on primer.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Marylandradiosailor
    HWSNBN ... does the RubnBuf gold dry to a hard coating? I have read some complaints on other modeling forums that folks have said it always remains a bit soft ? TIA, Khim
    It's more of a 'smear' type coating, petroleum or animal oil/wax binder-solvent. Best applied over a rough surface such as a flat finish where the 'grainy' surface gives enough tooth to hold the medium in place without risk of shrugging off do to handling or accident.

It eventually dries hard, but it has low adhesion to a smooth substrate, but will cling well to a rough substrate.

David

Leave a comment:

• Marylandradiosailor
    replied
    HWSNBN ... does the RubnBuf gold dry to a hard coating? I have read some complaints on other modeling forums that folks have said it always remains a bit soft ? TIA, Khim

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

Working...