• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

To HWSNBN Your old Torpedo Breech Tech. Question

Hello Sir
    I was wondering reg. your old 1/72 breech section and torpedo aft gassing tube and the your 1/96 torpedo aft gassing tube and breech. Are they both the same size of breech and aft gassing tubes?
    Can you remember or can you find out what the size of your brass plug insert was that was used to make your cavity space in your 1/72 and 1/96 torpedos?

Thanks for your Time and Help.
    George
    Last edited by george; 11-16-2019, 11:54 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello Sir
    I was wondering reg. your old 1/72 breech section and torpedo aft gassing tube and the your 1/96 torpedo aft gassing tube and breech. Are they both the same size of breech and aft gassing tubes?
    Can you remember or can you find out what the size of your brass plug insert was that was used to make your cavity space in your 1/72 and 1/96 torpedos?

Thanks for your Time and Help.
    George
    The core for the 1/72 torpedo is 7/32" diameter. The core for the 1/96 torpedo is 3/16". Sorry for the delay, they were berried in the shed.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Are both breeches the same size and are the tail end exhaust tubes the same size also?

Also

Thanks for your Time and Help with this.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Are both breeches the same size and are the tail end exhaust tubes the same size also?

Also

Thanks for your Time and Help with this.
        I assume you mean the torpedo tube inside diameter? If so, no. Two different diameters. However both the 1/96 and 1/72 weapons employed the same .008" exhaust nozzle. Which by the way, was the smallest drill bit I could find, but was still too large as my weapons go too damned fast in the water which makes them subject to broaching during the run.

Glad to help, George. Anytime.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I assume you mean the torpedo tube inside diameter? If so, no. Two different diameters. However both the 1/96 and 1/72 weapons employed the same .008" exhaust nozzle. Which by the way, was the smallest drill bit I could find, but was still too large as my weapons go too damned fast in the water which makes them subject to broaching during the run.

Glad to help, George. Anytime.

David
          Thanks That helps BUT I was also curious as to what outside diameter tube you used for each scale torpedo; 1/96 and 1/72. I have made a breach for the 1/72 with 1/16" O ring with a snug fit BUT NOT sure for the 1/96 what the rear tube of the torpedo outside diameter is so I can figure out what O ring that needs or is it the same O ring ?
          George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks That helps BUT I was also curious as to what outside diameter tube you used for each scale torpedo; 1/96 and 1/72. I have made a breach for the 1/72 with 1/16" O ring with a snug fit BUT NOT sure for the 1/96 what the rear tube of the torpedo outside diameter is so I can figure out what O ring that needs or is it the same O ring ?
            George
            Both employed a 1/16" o.d. aluminum tube that received a nozzle plug of CA that was drilled to a throat diameter of .008". Still too large a throat as the weapons went too fast to be stable. Could not find a commercially available drill bit smaller. So, end of the road for me.

Had to move on to more viable commercial enterprises. Too bad. I was almost there. Bob has the ball now and I think he's just about perfected things.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Again Thank You for this last bit of information and pictures. IT will help me a lot!!!!!!!!
              Thanks for your help.
              George

Comment

Working...