Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

submarine on a selfi-stick

Go to the bottom of the page for this video. Fantastic concept and beautiful execution.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ur-Subs/page18

David
    Who is John Galt?
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

I couldn't figure how the camera was attached -yes the tether attached to the sub's belly and goes straight down(sometimes it is seen bouncing off the bottom causing the sub to shake) but the camera angle is up at waterline level-does the camera float and is tethered to a weight that drags the bottom and is pulled by the tether from the bottom of the sub?..If so , the camera should shake as its weight is also dragged along the bottom?? Or is the camera weighted for neutral buoyancy if so the tether should go straight back and not down.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
      I couldn't figure how the camera was attached -yes the tether attached to the sub's belly and goes straight down(sometimes it is seen bouncing off the bottom causing the sub to shake) but the camera angle is up at waterline level-does the camera float and is tethered to a weight that drags the bottom and is pulled by the tether from the bottom of the sub?..If so , the camera should shake as its weight is also dragged along the bottom?? Or is the camera weighted for neutral buoyancy if so the tether should go straight back and not down.
      Or, the camera body is also on a vertical shaft and bearing and has 'tail-feathers' to keep it pointed at a near zero angle-of-attack to the water flow. Back the boat down and you get a bow shot. Put the boat in a tight turn, and as its skids, the POV starts to look at the inboard side of the turn.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Actually your title should be submarine selfie stick.

I think what he did here is he attached a length of rigid wire underneath the hull which was free to rotate around the sub. He then attached the camera to the end with some flotation foam to make it neutrally buoyant and not affect the sub's trim. I'm trying to ask him for some photos of the setup.

Here's a test video https://youtu.be/KsW_wrFgSTg
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          Actually your title should be submarine selfie stick.

I think what he did here is he attached a length of rigid wire underneath the hull which was free to rotate around the sub. He then attached the camera to the end with some flotation foam to make it neutrally buoyant and not affect the sub's trim. I'm trying to ask him for some photos of the setup.

Here's a test video https://youtu.be/KsW_wrFgSTg
          I'm amazed at this guys work. And thanks for that video. Most instructive.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

He has a blog.
            Here's the link for this particular sub https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/wat_rcair/folder/1275272.html

Click on libray to see his other projects.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

That is a really, really great idea, though I like the towed camera idea better. The thing about the selfie-stick, though, is that it offers a bit of a failsafe against crashing into the bottom. On the downside, I could see it hooking all manner of weeds and such as it moves through them...

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

If you go to frame 1:10 you can see a reflection in the tank side when the sub is turned and it shows a little more of whats under the sub...

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

I love his engineering-here's one of my favorites- An amazingly simple static dive with snorkel..
                  He also does the capacitor run mini torpedos

Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_7_m.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	131558 Here's a diagram.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 04-07-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

Start of the blow, is he compressing the ballast tank by sucking out of it? Not sure how it starts to go ip before the snorkel breaches.
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Bottom R/H drawing shows snorkel check valve open and thruster drawing water in thru snorkel tube(note diameter is same size as thruster bore) and forcing it out the bottom of the sub driving it upward. The calibrated trapped air (determined by the air vent tube) keeps the sub at a positive or almost positive buoyancy. And the sub rises..Brilliant! especially for really small subs..
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-07-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39410.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	131582 Photo of actual thruster and snorkel with check valve.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Nice-the guys on RGC have tried to ask him for the "secrets" and so far none-Is that check valve and thruster (why doesn't the program recognize thruster as being spelled correctly?) your's or his? That valve depends on weight to swing it closed?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                              Nice-the guys on RGC have tried to ask him for the "secrets" and so far none-Is that check valve and thruster (why doesn't the program recognize thruster as being spelled correctly?) your's or his? That valve depends on weight to swing it closed?
                              Here's another one of his check valve. Note the weight near the hinge point. Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2_m.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	131586

Comment

Working...