Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

submarine on a selfi-stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • submarine on a selfi-stick

    Go to the bottom of the page for this video. Fantastic concept and beautiful execution.

    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ur-Subs/page18

    David
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

  • #2
    I couldn't figure how the camera was attached -yes the tether attached to the sub's belly and goes straight down(sometimes it is seen bouncing off the bottom causing the sub to shake) but the camera angle is up at waterline level-does the camera float and is tethered to a weight that drags the bottom and is pulled by the tether from the bottom of the sub?..If so , the camera should shake as its weight is also dragged along the bottom?? Or is the camera weighted for neutral buoyancy if so the tether should go straight back and not down.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bob Gato View Post
      I couldn't figure how the camera was attached -yes the tether attached to the sub's belly and goes straight down(sometimes it is seen bouncing off the bottom causing the sub to shake) but the camera angle is up at waterline level-does the camera float and is tethered to a weight that drags the bottom and is pulled by the tether from the bottom of the sub?..If so , the camera should shake as its weight is also dragged along the bottom?? Or is the camera weighted for neutral buoyancy if so the tether should go straight back and not down.
      Or, the camera body is also on a vertical shaft and bearing and has 'tail-feathers' to keep it pointed at a near zero angle-of-attack to the water flow. Back the boat down and you get a bow shot. Put the boat in a tight turn, and as its skids, the POV starts to look at the inboard side of the turn.





      David
      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Actually your title should be submarine selfie stick.

        I think what he did here is he attached a length of rigid wire underneath the hull which was free to rotate around the sub. He then attached the camera to the end with some flotation foam to make it neutrally buoyant and not affect the sub's trim. I'm trying to ask him for some photos of the setup.

        Here's a test video https://youtu.be/KsW_wrFgSTg
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by redboat219 View Post
          Actually your title should be submarine selfie stick.

          I think what he did here is he attached a length of rigid wire underneath the hull which was free to rotate around the sub. He then attached the camera to the end with some flotation foam to make it neutrally buoyant and not affect the sub's trim. I'm trying to ask him for some photos of the setup.

          Here's a test video https://youtu.be/KsW_wrFgSTg
          I'm amazed at this guys work. And thanks for that video. Most instructive.

          David
          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

          Comment


          • #6
            He has a blog.
            Here's the link for this particular sub https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/wat_rcair/folder/1275272.html

            Click on libray to see his other projects.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

            Comment


            • #7
              That is a really, really great idea, though I like the towed camera idea better. The thing about the selfie-stick, though, is that it offers a bit of a failsafe against crashing into the bottom. On the downside, I could see it hooking all manner of weeds and such as it moves through them...

              Comment


              • #8
                If you go to frame 1:10 you can see a reflection in the tank side when the sub is turned and it shows a little more of whats under the sub...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I love his engineering-here's one of my favorites- An amazingly simple static dive with snorkel..
                  He also does the capacitor run mini torpedos
                   
                  Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	img_7_m.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	131558
                    Here's a diagram.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 04-07-2019, 01:36 PM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Start of the blow, is he compressing the ballast tank by sucking out of it? Not sure how it starts to go ip before the snorkel breaches.
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bottom R/H drawing shows snorkel check valve open and thruster drawing water in thru snorkel tube(note diameter is same size as thruster bore) and forcing it out the bottom of the sub driving it upward. The calibrated trapped air (determined by the air vent tube) keeps the sub at a positive or almost positive buoyancy. And the sub rises..Brilliant! especially for really small subs..
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-07-2019, 10:13 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	131582
                          Photo of actual thruster and snorkel with check valve.
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nice-the guys on RGC have tried to ask him for the "secrets" and so far none-Is that check valve and thruster (why doesn't the program recognize thruster as being spelled correctly?) your's or his? That valve depends on weight to swing it closed?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bob Gato View Post
                              Nice-the guys on RGC have tried to ask him for the "secrets" and so far none-Is that check valve and thruster (why doesn't the program recognize thruster as being spelled correctly?) your's or his? That valve depends on weight to swing it closed?
                              Here's another one of his check valve. Note the weight near the hinge point.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2_m.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	131586
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X