X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Wet running brushless

Let see if I can express this so someone not in my head could understand-What if you took a brushless motor apart. Then potted the windings in epoxy -next take the winding assy and lathe it true back down to its individual iron cores (if there is any clearance at all between the rotating magnets and the iron cores then leave 1/2 of that clearance with a thin layer of epoxy to prevent the iron cores from rusting). When reassembled-all the electrics will then be isolated from the water and the bell would then rotate around this plastic block with three wires coming out of it. saving everyone a lot of dry space in the wtc. Maybe even change out the ball bearing to a bushing to prevent ball bearing failure and the need for constant lube.
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-05-2019, 07:19 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Sure. Fresh water is rather benign to wet electric motors. No problem running it in the wet (disregarding the torque loss as the armature gives up some work thrashing water).

Your worried about excessive oxidation of the iron armature poles. If you pot the armature you present the opportunity for water to get into cracks in the potting resin and the water and air that gets in will eat the iron elements anyway -- the cured resin encapsulating the armature will be subjected to both heat induced and physical expansion/contraction of varying current loads to the windings. It will crack.

The motor will be in the wet for only hours at a time, and will be blown down after a days fun. The majority of the motors life will be in storage, in a dry environment. If There's water in resin cracks, that water will have a great deal of time to feast on the iron parts.

Just a simply blow-down as part of your post-mission maintenance will be a lot easier than potting the armature me thinks. Motors are cheap. Your labor is not.

KISS!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

These guys claim to have a waterproof outrunner. The standard of waterproofing is not mentioned so I guess that its not great. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5d3256d06uROZ3

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
        These guys claim to have a waterproof outrunner. The standard of waterproofing is not mentioned so I guess that its not great. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5d3256d06uROZ3
        Waterproof against rain , the odd dunking I suspect, but that has to be better than a standard non waterproof model, Guess it’s worth a try
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Hmmm-good points , and salt water is a non issue for obvious control reasons..

Comment

Working...