Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Learning about Propeller ducting.

I can no longer get to close to RC models because of my Pacemaker, (one reason I'm out of the business), but I'm still into boats and engines and stuff with our business at www.mud-skipper.com. I came across this product called Bixpy, (see https://mud-skipper.com/index.php/bi...norkelers.html) and you'll see from the shape of it, why it took my eye. It's designed to fit onto kayaks, surfboards and small boats.

It has brushless motors, lipo batteries etc- all good stuff!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	196.9 KB ID:	129630

Looking at the nozzle surrounding the prop, I recalled an Australian guy on Youtube who explained the detail of how these nozzles were so effective, You can see that here https://youtu.be/Cew5JF8q6eY
    I think it's a great article for those interested in propeller design.

So I'm looking to create something a little bigger to fit onto our mud motors and I'm using Autodesk Fusion 360 to attempt to make something to fit an 8" diameter prop.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	129631
    Here's my Fusion attempt so far.

I think it will vastly improve the performance of some of our engines, especially The Twister, which uses a Bowden cable for a shaft. https://mud-skipper.com/index.php/twisters.html
    I am not sure how I'll be able to 3D print something this big being about 10" diameter and 8* long. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kazzer; 01-15-2019, 06:42 AM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Hey, Mike!

I'm sure there are Shapway equivalents out there that will print big metal parts for you. Good stuff, I'll study that link about propeller design. Thanks.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Price will be through the roof for metal 3d printing something that size. The processes are getting cheaper all the time, but still too expensive for this sort of thing IMO.

I would look at HP jet fusion process, the parts are very tough. Still won't be cheap, but much less than metal parts.

Some info on kort nozzles. http://www.submarineboat.com/kort_nozzles.htm

Comment

• Scott T
        Commander
        • May 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	SKM_C55819011711370.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	129688 Maybe make nozzle in sections you bolt or snap together.
        When I air up a air mattress with a compressor it fills faster if you hold the nozzle away from the opening. Kind of like a water siphon pulls water
        the fast air draws in more air around the jet. Click image for larger version  Name:	SKM_C55819011711370.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	129669

Last edited by Scott T; 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
          Maybe make nozzle in sections you bolt or snap together.
          When I air up a air mattress with a compressor it fills faster if you hold the nozzle away from the opening. Kind of like a water siphon pulls water
          the fast air draws in more air around the jet. Click image for larger version Name:	SKM_C55819011711370.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	129669
          And 'eductor' We used them to pull vacuum to seat underwater patches.
          Image result for jet-x eductor

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
            Click image for larger version

Name:	SKM_C55819011711370.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	129688 Maybe make nozzle in sections you bolt or snap together.
            the fast air draws in more air around the jet. Click image for larger version Name:	SKM_C55819011711370.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	129669
            Yes, my design evolved into the split yesterday, probably a glass of red wine helped! I split the tube into three. It's going to take about 10 hours to print 1/3rd. I'm only wanting to print one, just to test the idea. Thanks for all. the help guys! Glad to see you're all keeping busy with the hobby. I have a tone of British submarine photos I'll have to load here some time. I also have a ton of reference books that I no longer use. If anyone is interested in them, I'll make a list. Most are in good condition.
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...