X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

What would you run in??

SubComLI ran at Lake Ronkonkoma today. Needless to say the green algae was thick enough to appear like green paint. The boats were difficult to see when transiting through it submerged.
    Plus, hidden in it was that invasive aquarium plant Hydrilla which wraps around the dive planes, rudder as well as fouls the prop.
    Ray Masons 1/72 ALFA Class is to the right, and my 1/96 USS ULYSSES S GRANT SSBN631 is to the left.
    Despite the "green slime" it's a cool shot!!
    "Sub" Ed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	127784
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Yikes. I suppose I'd brave it, but at periscope-depth only. That is crazy plant life. Did it have any effect on radio reception when submerged?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
      SubComLI ran at Lake Ronkonkoma today. Needless to say the green algae was thick enough to appear like green paint. The boats were difficult to see when transiting through it submerged.
      Plus, hidden in it was that invasive aquarium plant Hydrilla which wraps around the dive planes, rudder as well as fouls the prop.
      Ray Masons 1/72 ALFA Class is to the right, and my 1/96 USS ULYSSES S GRANT SSBN631 is to the left.
      Despite the "green slime" it's a cool shot!!
      "Sub" Ed
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	127784
      As a young, idiot navy Diver I did a few jobs in water that looked like that. A portion of the Mediterranean Sea near Golcuk Turkey. Not Alge. It was paint and other hydrocarbons floating on the surface -- a paint factory was near the dive site. Two feet under and the water was pristine! It was layered at the surface like a parfe-sundae. I could actually 'feel' the slight change in my apparent weight as I climbed out of that muck.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
        Yikes. I suppose I'd brave it, but at periscope-depth only. That is crazy plant life. Did it have any effect on radio reception when submerged?
        As an old school OOD of the Adm Assay SUBSCOL, I rarely go below PD. I run strictly 2.4ghz as well. But Ray experienced no issues, after all it's just algea. Looked cool, but took some post mission cleaning to get it out of all the cracks lol.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

As a young, idiot navy Diver I did a few jobs in water that looked like that. A portion of the Mediterranean Sea near Golcuk Turkey. Not Alge. It was paint and other hydrocarbons floating on the surface -- a paint factory was near the dive site. Two feet under and the water was pristine! It was layered at the surface like a parfe-sundae. I could actually 'feel' the slight change in my apparent weight as I climbed out of that muck.

David
          Dave,
          Back in the 90's I laid out courses for two consecutive years. If you remember the handout for those two had a very "Chart" like look to it, channeling my QM day's.
          Anyway I wanted something the boats had to go under and possibly surface through, but nobody I discussed it with wanted their boat transiting "under" something, and I couldn't come up with the right material that would look good and not harm a boat. I considered packing peanuts contained in an "oil boom" but thinking of the cleanup when done, much less what a good gust of wind would do cancelled that idea.

Now YOU mention paint on a surface! Geez I'm glad that never crossed my mind, we'd have been kicked out long before 9-11.

But I still wonder at times if there is someway to simulate an ice cover. Possibly a good amount of crushed REAL ice contained in an "oil boom", but the water would have to be cold for it to last any real time, too cold to safely retrieve a boat. NO way during a summer outing either. No cleanup though lol.

BTW, the "green" was completely gone this past Sunday and Ray got the little SKIPJACK about trimmed. I loved hearing him say "Gosh this things fast......."

We're having a lot of fun with the band back together.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Dave,
            Back in the 90's I laid out courses for two consecutive years. If you remember the handout for those two had a very "Chart" like look to it, channeling my QM day's.
            Anyway I wanted something the boats had to go under and possibly surface through, but nobody I discussed it with wanted their boat transiting "under" something, and I couldn't come up with the right material that would look good and not harm a boat. I considered packing peanuts contained in an "oil boom" but thinking of the cleanup when done, much less what a good gust of wind would do cancelled that idea.

Now YOU mention paint on a surface! Geez I'm glad that never crossed my mind, we'd have been kicked out long before 9-11.

But I still wonder at times if there is someway to simulate an ice cover. Possibly a good amount of crushed REAL ice contained in an "oil boom", but the water would have to be cold for it to last any real time, too cold to safely retrieve a boat. NO way during a summer outing either. No cleanup though lol.

BTW, the "green" was completely gone this past Sunday and Ray got the little SKIPJACK about trimmed. I loved hearing him say "Gosh this things fast......."

We're having a lot of fun with the band back together.
            Hulla-hoops:

https://youtu.be/oc4XLg79QDI (1:03)
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...