• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Materials Used To Make WTC Discs, End Caps

Hello
    I was thinking of building a few WTC for my own use. After thinking about it I have to ask here. What materials would be Good to use to make "discs" ( End caps, section discs)? What I planned on doing was use a Larger diameter mold and pour a mixed material to solidify and then turn down on my lathe and make O ring groves etc.
    Important factors at least I think; water proof/resistant, shrink resistant, temperature variation safe, light.

Anyone ever made your own discs? Besides using a plastic disc and turning them to a desired diameter?

Interested in seeing what is used.
    Thanks
    George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

AlumiRes (RC-3) is a great general purpose economic resin. The AlumiRes (RC-3) is perfect for casting those large cosmetic pieces that take a lot of resin when you need to keep the cost down.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Wow was not expecting you to respond. Thanks
      However, a LONG TIME AGO, did you not have a problem with some product you used to make your discs and experiencing shrinkage?
      I thought about using marine bondo etc. Will have to look for a source of resin here in Canada.
      Thanks
      George

Sorry forgot to ask, if I use the resin product, what is BEST to use as to make sure it does not stick to my larger round molds, I was thinking of just Cheap, unused PVC pipe cut into discs for the round large molds but what to use so the resin don`t stick, duct tape? Plastic wrap?
      Last edited by george; 08-31-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
        Wow was not expecting you to respond. Thanks
        However, a LONG TIME AGO, did you not have a problem with some product you used to make your discs and experiencing shrinkage?
        I thought about using marine bondo etc. Will have to look for a source of resin here in Canada.
        Thanks
        George

Sorry forgot to ask, if I use the resin product, what is BEST to use as to make sure it does not stick to my larger round molds, I was thinking of just Cheap, unused PVC pipe cut into discs for the round large molds but what to use so the resin don`t stick, duct tape? Plastic wrap?
        I cast ALL resin bulkheads oversized in diameter. As the tolerance of Lexan tube is sloppy, I custom machine (lathe or mill) each resin bulkhead to fit the cylinder with a very slight interference fit.

I swear by this mold/part release agent http://www.mann-release.com/erelese2.htm

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-31-2018, 10:51 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Thank You for your information/reply/help.
          George

Comment

• Aug 2008

anytime.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2009

If you want too turn end caps why cast your material? Buy a piece of 3 or 4 inch solid PVC rod , knurl turn groove and part .
              save time effort and money.

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

Any material better to work with then others, in terms of sticking the seal casing to the disc? So they don`t pop apart under vacuum/pressure? What do you use to glue the push rod casings and drive shaft casings to the disc?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nasty old RTV sealant/gasket-maker/whatever

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

Hello
                    Thanks again for the info. Time to go PYC shopping and RTV from Canadian Tire.
                    George

Comment

Working...