X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Making Bayonet Rings for Submarines

I have been playing with making a 3D bayonet ring. So far I am to this point:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayonet_002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	119175Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayonet_003.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	119176

It will fit into a 2.5" diameter polycarbonate tube that has a 1/16" wall. Very tight fit, so hoping that molding and casting will shrink just enough for it to go in a little smoother into the tube.

Now working on putting in a o-ring. I am going to use axial type seal for now to see how that goes. Later, I may try to come up with a radial seal. Then other diameter bayonet rings
    So, I am looking at the 1.2mm o-ring with a 42.4mm OD. This size fits nicely on the flat surfaces I created on the female portion and male portions of the bayonet rings. I could go larger diameter, but the OD sizes becomes an issue for this 2.5" tube.
    Any advice is welcome! I re-wartched Andy's video and am using his suggestions on the amount of o-ring to be proud as well as space on the sides. Well not completely, I am making it a little higher just in case I need to mill out the groove, I have the room to do that.

I have BJB resin, it is the clear stuff. I am still learning on it, but it has little to nil shrinkage and high strength too. That brings up ware and tare on the parts. How well will it hold up, maybe a radial seal might be better....just rambling thoughts.
    This is fun.I know David will laugh at me when the EMP drops and all my files toast, but until that time, I will use this technology.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

Are you guys trying to make the volcano explode?
    Posting all this 3D stuff on the forum will result in an eruption.

Even it makes me think twice why I should bother to craft hulls and make them into kits It just seems that I'm born to late or started to late with the hobby. I completely understand the grumpy old bear in his cave.

Nothing against you Tom, those Bayonet rings are looking good. I always use Andy's guidelines for O-rings. Never failed me. Gold stuff imo.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Last edited by bwi 971; 01-27-2017, 04:29 AM.
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Bart,

Tom is embracing a new, economical, exacting, and quick means to an end. As long as there remains a free flow of electrons, this trend will continue.

There are consumers, and there are originators. We are quickly placing our wants and well-being into the hands of ever more capable machines.

Soon there will be no pattern-makers, cabinet-makers, photo-realistic sculptors' and painters, and model-builders.

The word 'craft' will soon have no meaning at all when associated to human hands. It will be a term applied to tasks assigned to robots.

Bart: take some comfort in the fact that we lived long enough to see this transition in our later years -- we got a good, long, satisfying drink from the fountain of accomplishment before the fountain went dry.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
        Captain
        • Jan 2015

You captured it all David.
        **** it, I go get some materials to rebuilt my cave into one slick, organized craft place with an extractor for paint and laminating jobs.
        There is hope dough, my daughter (16) wants me to leave all my equipment to her, when I go on my final mission.

grtz,
        Bart
        (the frustrated one)
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

Working...