Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

The tiles will all be different but the frame spacing will be pretty consistent over time (and probably boats) I was thinking more of the oil can effect rather than the tile effect, but tiles would also be good!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Tiles?!....

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

Believe me; if I could do something like that using just paint and masking tape, I would.

Comment

• Wbnemo1
          Ensign
          • May 2011

Love it, yeah we can't all be gods of modelling like DM,...where's that darn hatcam pic, lol
          Will

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Wbnemo1
            Love it, yeah we can't all be gods of modelling like DM,...where's that darn hatcam pic, lol
            Will
            William!

Ladies and Gentlemen, this guy is Mr. Disney NAUTILUS. Welcome, sir.

... and you know where you can stick that hat-cam shot.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Tiles?!....

David
              Want tiles, get a builder!
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Wbnemo1
                Ensign
                • May 2011

It's a classic dave, just like us, lmao

Comment

• roguemodel
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2017

What about designing a decal sheet? It would just have to be subtle..

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I dont know if anyone is aware of it but there is a group of modelers who have purchased Bob Martins Seaquest hull and are in the process of building it. They have a Youtube channel known as Rapidnadion. Here is a link to the first two videos of their build.

IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

And the second:

IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Just as a note on that, it's not our production hull, but rather the first prototype. It's about 10" longer than the production boat, and has no surface detail or any of the other detail parts that are going into the final versions.

Those guys are earnest, but their experience is somewhat lacking. They're doing a good job, overall. I'll be interested in seeing what they come up with in their old-school manner.

Great video, though. Well-editted and fun to watch!

Bob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don’t anyone tell Ellie, but I got a new play-toy.

Yes, it’s the Nautilus Drydocks SEAQUEST submarine from the TV show of the same name.

The show featured awful dialog, touchy-feely Greenpeace horse-****, a smart-ass dolphin (really?!), a COB who doubled as a hatch-plug, an end-of series plot line that made the worst of Irwin Allen’s end-of-series shows look good…

…... And one kick-ass looking ‘futuristic’ submarine.

Though the effects shots were done by geeks on keyboards, the visuals of the submarine were grounded on at least one physical model built for scanning and ‘visualization’ by the production staff. As I understand it this kit was lofted off one of those miniatures. In my book that’s authentication and faithfulness to prototype of the first order!

And here’s the kit of the SEAQUEST. The hull appears to be roto-cast, and what flash there is on the three parts is light and at spots that will be easily worked with abrasives and fillers. The solid cast items (the tail-cone and display base are hollow) are bubble free, hard, and richly detailed. A dry fit of the major sub-assemblies indicates good kit engineering and proper selection of materials. This thing is suitable for display and …. gasp …. r/c use.

Packaging of the kit was top-drawer: a spacious box, plenty of bubble-wrap, and the parts bagged as you see in the above photo. Nice. No damage on the sample I got.

At the ass-end of this vehicle are four articulated ‘squid-fins’. These are hinged to impinge the water flow – working more as Northrop type ‘drag-brakes’ rather than the more traditional foil type control surfaces we’re used to. Obviously, deployment of these big drag-brakes will produce the required yaw and pitch forces needed to control and maneuver this beast – but only if it’s in motion.

Intake water for the propulsor will come through ‘inlet doors’ (much as you see on some jet engines, forward of the compressor section) – these doors formed by the six scale hatches in the spherical, center portion of the hull. Each hatch will operate as spring loaded poppet-valve. The mechanism of valve operation is simply a slight differential pressure between the inside of the hull and the ambient water pressure – a situation that occurs each time the pump-jets/centrifugal pump takes a suction.

For you display kit assemblers no stone has been left unturned here. You can even display the model with three of the six access doors in the ‘open’ condition.

Alternatively (or in concert) of the four drag-brakes, the four articulated nozzles can be so directed to effect the needed yaw and pitch forces. So, there are choices as to directional control of this model submarine.

My initial thought was pump-jets, one for each nozzle, accelerating water for each of the four propulsion nozzles. But, now that I think of it, a single, big, kick-ass centrifugal pump -- with valved branches leading off its volute -- might be that way to manage propulsion water. When I get time I’ll look into these issues.

David
                          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-10-2017, 04:18 PM.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Wbnemo1
                            Ensign
                            • May 2011

Ooo sweet!Dave, I'm glad you got one of these...you're gonna rc it???...where's your build blog, I'll be glued to it....lol. gonna paint it too??? I'll try and help a bit...model was scanned off my series maquette, so shape is dead bolts accurate...we had to do a ton of research on all the details and such to finish up the master set of parts...can't wait to see how you do on this...
                            Will

Comment

• Wbnemo1
                              Ensign
                              • May 2011

This is the original series Maquette that was scanned, mirrored, and all details realized..
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Wbnemo1
                                Ensign
                                • May 2011

You can get an idea of the correct color scheme from this screen grab
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...