Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Excelent as would be expected from you Manfred. That is beautiful. I havent done much on mine, except research on the type A. and hull detale differances. I have changed the scale on my project boat to 1/19th to keep the model under 48inches, so basiclly now have two towers. one is the 1/16th that I started with and a slightly different version in 1/19th, which is spacific to the H-19, Mr Sakamaki's boat. I dont want to hijack this thread, so I will be posting the progress on the hull on a new thread, under 1/19th scale Pearl Harbor Miget.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Scope up!!!!

There is dust in the Cave, wait and see

Scope down!!!
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

For now i'm playing around with foam, i don't own a woodlathe so i went the foam way, did this before with the type XVIIb,

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC180340_zps3s2prwg6.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	111881

At first i took some measurements to get me the right diameters, this was depending on the thickness of the foam, about 6 cm, took the complete package and drilled a hole right in the center, by using a threaded bar with nuts i can clamp the foam between both ribs.
        Used a sawblade to get the rough shape and a sandingblock to get the part smooth,it also could be done with a melting wire, but once again, it's not in my toolbox, i've got to improvice.

Name:	PC180342_zpsq0wac5yn.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	111882

After a few evenings you get this, started to build up the rearpart, those lines on the foam are used to place them in line.

Name:	PC190343_zpsrzjfpvfg.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	111883

The middle section was easy, made five equal parts, used the drawing for checking the length.

Name:	PC190344_zpshxdolmku.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	111884

All parts in line for a dryfitt, next week i'll start with the frontpart, got myself some days free from the office, so it should go fast, unless She Who Must Be Obeyed has some jobs to do, ssstttt!!!!!, never mentioned that, if you know what i mean, wink,wink,notch,notch!!!

Manfred.
        Attached Files
        I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

good to see your progressing on that now. I have been taking a long break from the models these last few months, as well. My wife doesnt give me a To Do list. The reason no need for a list , because I have to fix everthing thats broke. She said just keep working till I dont see anything left to do. You know if there is a list and you cross one off, two more amazeingly appear.

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Von,

The same story for me, sometimes it's good to step back from making models, gives you a fresh look for the future, as for the To Do list, i don't mind, it will return every year, gives me a excuse for not building models.
            Building the plug was something i delayed too long, have to do this in the winter so i can laminate her with a epoxy skin in the spring.

I do have a question for Gene, as i look at the drawing, the weldinglines are different to the model you've made, is there a reason for that?, or do the weldinglines differ by boat?, i also wonder if there are pictures how the boat is being split up, i prefer the vertical split into three parts, so transport will be much easier, it even gives me more access to all parts.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Manfred, the weld lines that I used were an interpilation of sources, mostly from photos. Relying on the drawings, only for a guide. You are correct in fact the actual boats differed individually, as well. The 5 Pearl Harbor boats were unique in a class, by themselves. They were almost identicle, except for markings. All other boats after Dec 10 were up graded, because the IJN thought they all failed due to possible design flaws.( Dec 10 was the rondevous date for any survivors that could possiblly be left, could hook up with a waiting Mother ship, south of Oahu.) Originally the designers assumed it was the net antifowling guards. (Not Net Cutters, as most people call them.) They wern't for cutting, but diflecting the Cables that held the buoys for the anti torpedo netting that was suspended below the surface, So various mods were made on all the type As in the rigging as well as the armor on the towers. So basiclly saying that if you rely on existing drawings, from anyone, they will be based on a surviving relic that is most likley a display. These displays are all cobbed together from various war torn boats off the bottom. None are compleet except for Kazuo Sakamaki's Ha19, and that is not even absolutly correct after it was revovered, on Dec 8. The Prop cage antifowling apparatus had been run over by a destroyer, and then ran aground on the reef after it broke free of the rocks, they made it to the beach on the east shore of Oahu. The USN recovery team the nest day dragged it off the beach with tow cables hooked up to the jumper wire. This further dammaged the original rigging and fowling system. No one cared it was just a hunk of beaced junk. Somebody in the war department. thought it would be a good War Bond project. Restoration for the war bond tour at Mare Island shipyard in 42 left off the end of the prop guard, and it still missing. When it was sitting at the base in Key West, I spoke with Kazuo about the condition of the relic as it sat in 1990, and he said many details were overlooked, one being the antifowling and the other was the color. So, the only surviving prop guard in good shape is on the ha8 which Gene based his drawings on. The h19 had drewings made by a US Navy Commander that took the measurements off the boat as it sat at the KW merritime museum its last resting place where it was still all together. Shortly the Nimitz museum, aquired it and took it completely apart for shipping from KW to Texas by barge. I purchased a 1/72 scale model of the H19 that was made from those drawings the Naval Architect drew. Fine Models, a Japanese company produces this boat. Listed as A-Target, IJN Type A midget(Pearl Harbor) Very good representation, and detailing of hatch and deck plate placement. Well worth the investment and a wealth of knowledge. Even in the instructions not just for the drawings but the text as well. (If you understand Japanese) or know a local Sushi Chef, as I do both. Very interisting tacticle information on the attack and positions of where and when all the boats were accounted for, Things the history books had all wrong, as to what happened. Happy New Year BTW I could be a good one.

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Thanks for the info Von, weldinglines will always create problems, unless you have the original shipyard drawings, even then you can go wrong, i hope David can do me a pleasure by digging up the master they made and take pics from all sides, giving me a accurate view.
                Let's hope he can find the time for doing that, i know his plate is fully overloaded with Mike jumping on his back screaming "more, more, build more ******, and faster!!!!,.
                For now i'm still covered by foamdust, within a few days all parts will be ready for glueing, i want to build her at first in three parts, front section, middle section and rearsection, when every section is ready i will marry them into one piece, this way i have some room for adjusting her symmetrical, with foam you don't have a choice, the best way of building this boat is the way David did, some nice straight pieces of wood.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Manfred, thats the way the Japanese built them in the Kure shipyard. 3 section modules, from different subassemblies built in different shops. Some were shipped in sections to secret IJN bases in the Pacific. They were assembled at the destinations, such as the Allutian islands and Baha Mexico. Some were assembled and deployed from surface vessels as well. I assume you are aware that the boats were dynamic divers and no balast system. They sat low in the water, at rest. Some of the animated videos of the C class mother subs, depict them launching from below the surface. Didnt happen. The launch procedure from the Mothers was to get within target range which was relitivly close because ther wasnt sufficient battery to power to run at speed, One thing being the drag underwater would slow the boat more when the tower was under and required more power, which would deplete the batteries quicker. Once in position, the mother would remain submerged until dark, then surface. The mini crew would board the boat and launch crew would release the tiedowns from the mother deck. The mother would just open the flood gates and dip away from the semi boyant mini. The mini would then make the first leg to the target on the top. Basiclly tower slightly above the surface so the Officer could see thru the observation ports. Running on low power at a couple knots untill time to dip under to perriscope depth on the torpedo run. They didnt have much of an operational range. around 30 miles at cruise speed, so the idea of making it back to the rondevous point was slim to none. The attack force of the 5 Pearl Harbor boats had a contingabcy plan of escape. Infact it is now come to light, the crew of the 5th boat that was never found, actually ran aground at Pearl City during the evening after the attack around 8 pm. They managed to signal the I24 that the had success and were going to plan B. There were maps found aboard one of the minis that ended up on the beach, showing a "Safe house" location, in Pearl City. Also ther was an account of a Navy pilot that flew in from the carrier that was inboubd to Pearl harbor. He was on his way to Sundy service athe the Navy base and stumbeled into the attack. The Airplane he was in was unarmed and was shot down by a couple zeros. Crashed on the highway in Ewa beach just outsid of Pearl.. He parachuted safely and was trying to get to the base, as the attack was still in full force. He flagged down a truck leaving Pearl city, that was in a hurry. The driver. a Japanes American had a passenger, who was Japanese as well, but was soaking wet and in his typicle Japanese underware, basiclly a diaper kind of cloth, The driver refused to give the pilot a ride to the base and speed off. The significant detail of the underwar is, the escape orders were to strip off all uniforms down to the underware and leave everything aboard the boat. Besides the paper containing the plan of escape there were uniforms found aboard some of the recovered subs but no bodies. A little history lesson for you to contimplate while you build one.
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-28-2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Wow, this is interesting hearing all this. Something I never heard before. Keep up with the history lesson! Maybe it's own thread. And always like watching your work Manfred.

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

I Agree Ken, most interesting, in the beginning i was not aware that subs where used at Pearl Harbour, i stumbled on a video at You Tube were they discussed about a picture taken during the attack, it showed the contours of a Class A japanese sub, most interesting to view.

As for me working in the shop, there is progress,

Name:	PC200351_zpszx7d3hck.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	111946

All parts are done, sticked them together with painterstape.

Name:	PC200347_zpsaotblsxv.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	111947

All three parts together, had to support the front and rear to keep everything together, she's still pretty rough with humps and bumps, nothing that cannot be sanded away.

Name:	PC210352_zpsfxhplacv.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	111948

Right now i'm doing this, glueing all parts together, only the parts with the lead on top are allready glued down, have to wait 24 hrs after each glue session.
                      When everything is glued down, i can marry all three parts, before doing that i'll sand them roughly into shape.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

You gotta love free days off, finally my plug is born, pictures

Name:	PC210353_zpsivopmscj.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	112029

One of the stages to get things together, used weights for gentle compression.

Name:	PC210354_zpsmkajneib.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	112030

One step to go for getting the three main hull parts together.

Name:	PC220355_zpsr9njwo7m.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	112031

Finally glueing the frontpart to the middle section, used a piece of wood to keep it at the right height, rearpart ready at the background.

Name:	PC230358_zpsxep8wfgg.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	112032

Name:	PC230359_zpsg94zwa8e.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	112033

Last two pics, she is ready in the rough, during the glueing i had some time to add some more plating at the conningtower, i'll make a update about that later.
                        For now i will make the jigg like David did with his, have to add some attachments points at both ends for spinning her around, to be continued.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2015

Great stuff Manfred as always

Grtz,
                          Bart
                          Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Thanks Bart,

The shape is there!!, loads of work to do for getting her a smooth skin.
                            As promised some pics on building the tower,

Name:	P3240090_zpsdshzjkxv.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	112076

Still had to make the front and backplating on the tower, used a piece of paper and some backlight to get the right proportions.

Name:	P3240091_zpsd7x7jeth.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	112077

After cutting the paper template a dryfitt on the tower, i use a packagetube from David, which has the right diameter of the hull.

Name:	P3240092_zpsf8vch4yv.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	112078

Did pretty much the same with all other templates and started cutting the copper plates.

Name:	P3240093_zps2nqkhocx.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	112079

I allways like to be sure, one of the countless dryfitts, this time with the copper plate.

Name:	P3310095_zps1ph8sfie.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	112080

Name:	P3310094_zpsomwjn3rc.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	112081

Heated up the soldering iron, and went loose, since there are weldinglines, i made them up with solder, at first i wanted a tower for the sub itself, but now i want to build a complete one and make a mold, have to order rivets first.
                            Yeah, i know, need some hatches on the outside also , for now not that much pics from the tower on both sides, Von!! help me!!!!

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

I have missplaced most of the actual fotos I took years ago, but here are a few Hi res you can blow up for detail

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

pictures wont load for some reason Ill have to e mail them

Comment

Working...