X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegry
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2013

Oscar

Ok this will take a long time I have to finish some other stuff but I can work on other stuff in between. I like the mechanical aspect of the Oscar with the missile doors and everything, but one thing I was wondering about is does anyone ever do a boat just as a surface runner? The reasons I ask is I have seen things talking about how you cant go very far under the surface of the water before you lose signal and in a lake where you cant see the boat I worry about it getting snagged and me loosing the boat.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

In fresh water you're not as r/c range-restricted as you are eye-ball restricted.

We all have our own comfort-level in this game. Take it as far as you feel comfortable. Easy as that. Don't want the sail to get wet? Then don't.

Me? I consider it a hell-bound sin to make an r/c submarine that will not work beneath the surface.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

In fresh water you're not as r/c range-restricted as you are eye-ball restricted.

We all have our own comfort-level in this game. Take it as far as you feel comfortable. Easy as that. Don't want the sail to get wet? Then don't.

Me? I consider it a hell-bound sin to make an r/c submarine that will not work beneath the surface.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Having a submarine that is radio control but not able to submerge, would be ok. But submerging your boat and running around under the surface is really where its at. Its the Cats Meow.
        If you use a good quality radio, reception and control is not a problem as long as you are in fresh water. Chlorinated pool water or salt water can create a problem. If you are in dirty water like a small duck pond or something, visibility might be a problem. Many lakes are clear enough, especially on a bright sunny day, where you can easily see down into the water three or four feet at least, and thats where the fun is at. At the very least keep her at periscope depth so you can keep track of her.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Which Oscar did you have in mind building and what equipment did you plan on using?
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Hazegry
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Mar 2013

Well that does make a difference I am not so worried about it now. I still need to research what exact model I am going to build I was hoping someone had a kit I could modify into a working rc model but I guess that's not the case.

Comment

• alad61
              Commander
              • Jan 2012

Most of the water I sail in varies between ok when sailing at your feet or ones where even the fish come up for air and light. Hence why I tend to have a nest of masts sticking out of the sail. It may not be very scale but the wake they give off when just broaching the surface is a great visual guide. If the wind/breeze throws up a bit of chop then a little rise on the planes till the masts are visible and you can still stalk the skimmers.
              Last edited by alad61; 02-16-2014, 11:28 PM.
              Cheers,
              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Hazegry
                Well that does make a difference I am not so worried about it now. I still need to research what exact model I am going to build I was hoping someone had a kit I could modify into a working rc model but I guess that's not the case.
                For a first-time r/c kit conversion -- the 1/72 Moebius/Revell of German SKIPJACK. Hands down. Dirt simple.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Hazegry
                  For a first-time r/c kit conversion -- the 1/72 Moebius/Revell of German SKIPJACK. Hands down. Dirt simple.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

M
                    Well how about Bronco's Type XXIII?
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                      Well how about Bronco's Type XXIII?
                      Having not seen either kit in the flesh, i think the Skipjack hull appears much simpler, its larger and will allow greater access, its clearly a much easier boat to work on
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

A kilo looks even easier.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                          A kilo looks even easier.
                          Kilo, right...
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Hazegry
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Mar 2013

David what do you think of the Bronco or kilo over the Skipjack? Would going to one of these models over the skipjack introduce problems or are they on the same skill level.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

If you do not mind me jumping in, the Skipjack is great beginner's sub to build - The biggest pain was the sail plane connection (however it runs well without using it). I would consider it for your first build, it is an easy build overall. The Bronco is easier build ONCE you got past that mid-line cut and do some of the modifications I did (like placement of sub-driver). I have not built the Kilo so I cannot offer any thoughts on how that goes together. Of the two I did build, both will give you a fine sub, but the Skipjack edges out the Type XXIII! Both have their challenges. Do you have a preference?
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...